New Orleans Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the boats will be leaving out from Venice and the like, which is an hour and a half south of NO. Then you'll need to ride the boat out to blue water, sometimes its close(5-10 miles), sometimes its not(20-30 miles). They are rather expensive out there as well. Most people who are diving out of louisiana to hit the rigs are diving off private boats.

Taking the boat ride into account, its safer to say that driving to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, AL is likely a quicker way to get into the water. The sites will also be easier and safer than the offshore rigs of LA.

Unless you own your own boat (I know of ZERO dive ops in the New Orleans area, and all open water courses are completed east of there as well), and care to brave the seas and go through all the hassles of driving for 3+ hours in a boat after 2+ hours towing your boat, then I would recommend, driving to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Pensacola/Panama City. You will find much more convenient diving, blue water, and lots of dive ops.

There are many shops in New Orleans, Harry's comes to mind. This link is one of many for trips to the rigs:

louisiana fishing scuba diving

When we lived in Houston we went to Cozumel or Caymans because that is what the local retail stores talked us into. Every time I mentioned Flower Gardens it was yeah, but, Cozumel is only a few dollars more. Finally, I said, I am going to the Flower Gardens no matter because I realized eventually that twelve trips to Cozumel is still not a trip to the Flower Gardens.

Moral, if Louisiana rig diving is what you want to experience, once in your life, then a trip to Pensacola will not satisfy.

No, there is no scuba in Louisiana:

http://nolaspearfishing.com/cblog/

Unless Hell Diving is your game.

N

There are many shops in New Orleans, Harry's comes to mind. This link is one of many for trips to the rigs:

louisiana fishing scuba diving

When we lived in Houston we went to Cozumel or Caymans because that is what the local retail stores talked us into. Every time I mentioned Flower Gardens it was yeah, but, Cozumel is only a few dollars more. Finally, I said, I am going to the Flower Gardens no matter because I realized eventually that twelve trips to Cozumel is still not a trip to the Flower Gardens.

Moral, if Louisiana rig diving is what you want to experience, once in your life, then a trip to Pensacola will not satisfy.

No, there is no scuba in Louisiana:

NOLA Spearfishing :: New Orleans, Louisiana Spearfishing

Unless Hell Diving is your game.

N

Nem, not exactly. We do have some bar pit diving in Louisiana. Vis can sometimes reach 10 feet....:shakehead: never mind your right there is no diving in La except rigs.:D Florida/Alabama is great. Tim

Nem, not exactly. We do have some bar pit diving in Louisiana. Vis can sometimes reach 10 feet....:shakehead: never mind your right there is no diving in La except rigs.:D Florida/Alabama is great. Tim

You realize of course that we are from Louisiana, wife is from New Orleans, brothers, sisters and families all over down there, we are not exactly strangers to the northern Gulf Coast and New Orleans. N

Back
Top Bottom