New OW Certification! I think...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhgant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First off, thank you to everyone on this board! Been lurking around for several weeks now. This forum has been, and continues to be, a wealth of information for people like myself who are brand new to the sport of diving. I have learned so much but have a long way to go.

That being said, my wife, son and I just completed out PADI Open Water certifications this past weekend! So excited after many, many years of wanting to do this. My question though is, how long does it normally take to get your temporary card so that you can go diving? Our instructor said that he would process everything Sunday night and we would get an email almost immediately. I have texted him about it and he said he is checking into it. Not sure what all is involved with processing the paperwork. Was hoping to get a couple of dives in this weekend to practice our new skills but not sure we are going to be able to. Didn't want to bug him but at the same time, we spent a lot of money on this and everybody wants to "blow bubbles!" :)

Thanks!

Brooks

He should have printed the temporary "card", which is really just a piece of paper, while you were still in the shop. Normally you walk out the door with it.

At least, that's how we do it. Nobody who is certified at the shop where I work leaves without proof of that....

If you have to wait for the "plastic" card then it could take a few weeks.

There have been, alas, cases of people whose certs were never submitted to PADI. Like I said, certs that are submitted online should be confirmed immediately. In rare cases instructors don't do that right away because they were not authorized to teach at the moment when the course was finished. This could (and usually) has to do with back-payments on insurance but in very rare cases there have been people who have "posed" as PADI instructors when they were not.

My advice is to phone the shop where you took your training and complain about it. Telll them that you want to go diving like you said on this thread and tell them that you need your temp card NOW.

99 times out of 100 they'll send you the email an apologize for the delay.

R..

Thanks! Just got off the phone with the shop and it appears to be an easy fix... they need our headshots. Going to get those emailed in the morning and hopefully have that temp card for the weekend!

I see. They can make the "head shot" with a mobile phone, which is what we normally do. I guess if they didn't do that -- or if they want a better quality -- then they would still need your picture.

R..

Lol we usually snap people's heads it's right after they come out of the water on open water dive two.

Reactions: yle
Lol we usually snap people's heads it's right after they come out of the water on open water dive two.
That wouldn't work very well here - everyone would be in hoods

It should come quick.
When I did my AOW and nitrox I finished up on Sunday and they were in my mailbox by Wednesday or Thursday.
My open water was about a week iirc

My wifes was about a week to get.
You can log onto padi and look for your certificaitons. It will list them and the dates received. You can print tht and that should normally suffice till the hard card gets there.

BTW I make a color copy front and back of the cards and keep in in my log book.
Also keep a copy of the links to get to padi oin your log so you can show the operaton your certs if you loose your card. And tehn I keep 2 of each card that is significant. One in the safety deposite box and the other in my dive wallet or what ever.
Lastly get the instructor to make a log book entry in your book with the cert info . course date instructor and inst #

My question though is, how long does it normally take to get your temporary card so that you can go diving?
Between 5 minutes and overnight if it's after hours and the shop's office has closed.

Also, you can always dive with the same shop even without it.
And if you're at another shop, you can ask them to check your certification online. There are rare cases they can't, which is what c-cards are for, that and saving some time. If it's not online, that's an issue to take up with your initial shop ASAP.

P.S. As a new diver (until 20-40 dives in), mention being new anyway; you'll usually be better off buddied up with the DM as your skills aren't automatic yet. Try to get to assemble your own gear under supervision to get that down too. Once you feel comfortable, get your AOW and then you're set for most recreational diving.

Congrats on your certification!

I'd add that you should try to look up your certs online. If they entered your name or birthdate wrong, you might not be able to find them. My certs are under two different spellings for my name. So my earlier certs are on one list and the later certs are on a second list.

Back
Top Bottom