New regs : opinions wanted please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS charges $25 per stage and the sherwood kit is $8. So $58 dollars every couple of years and my sherwood rig is like new.

Now if your wanting an upgrade keep your first move your primary to back up and get something like the HOG 2nd stage for $100 bucks.

Or just go online and find something cheap and throw it away after 3 years. Tusa RS-520 Regulator. This one cost $150 if you use it for 3 years with no maintence that's $50 per year. But when your done with it can you throw it my way. You could probably get close to $75-100 dollars for your primary and secondary on ebay.

If you just want a new setup and cost of maintence is an issue (it's hard to beat sherwood on cost of maintence) then it would help if you look into servicing yourself. Or at least getting better acquainted with being able to inspect your regs to know if it's time to take it to a professional.

I am glad I started this thread. Lots of great input and opinions. Thanks again.

Here in Cayman I was quoted 150$ and 110$ by two different dive shops, so you can see why I am a bit conflicted about servicing gear that is quite old. This is ex-rental gear that I paid 150$ (for 1st, second & pressure/depth) about 1 year ago.

M.

Another option is to do the service yourself, contrary to what some will tell you, it's not rocket science. For a few bucks in hand tools- assuming you don't already have them and a little time you can do it yourself. I can think of few regs that are easier to self service than a Sherwood.

Another option is to do the service yourself, contrary to what some will tell you, it's not rocket science. For a few bucks in hand tools- assuming you don't already have them and a little time you can do it yourself. I can think of few regs that are easier to self service than a Sherwood.

It probably is quite easy, but I am not sure I want to pretend I know what I am doing with something my life depends on, at least not without guidance from someone experienced.

It probably is quite easy, but I am not sure I want to pretend I know what I am doing with something my life depends on, at least not without guidance from someone experienced.

Hello Roombaguy,

Come to the Dark Side.

The first thing is to start off with a service manual or two. Both service manuals usually discussed here are great; Vance Harlow's "SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair" <http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html>
and the Scuba Tools book, "Regulator Savvy" <http://www.scubatools.com/> are well worth the money. As I own both, I can recommend getting one of each. However, if you're dead set on getting only one, then Vance's is a little more suitable for the DIY guy, while the ScubaTools book is more suitable for the shop worker. ScubaTools has some pretty handy tools too, so if you order from there pay a few extra bucks and get the bullets, spanners, and regulator specific tools you'll need with your first order to save on shipping. Get a few old regulators like the ones you will be servicing from eBay or Craig's list and get in a bit practice. After just one or two seasons of servicing your own gear, you'll have recovered your investment.

Here are a couple of websites with tons of regulator specific manuals:
Regulator manuals <http://www.juhahaanpera.com/regulatormanual.htm>
<http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/>
http://www.atlantisdiveclub.com/mainmovies/gb_manuals.html

Good luck,

Couv

Roombaguy.....since you are still considering a new reg here's some fairly obvious pertinent info for your situation.
Since you live on the Caymans you will most likely need to have your reg serviced on island at some point.
Most of the dive shops there will only carry repair kits for the brand of equipment that they use in rental, and to keep things simple they will only use 1 manufacturer, for example shop A will use Scubapro, shop B Sherwood and shop C AquaLung.
When (or if) you buy your new reg please do some research and make certain you can get it serviced at your locale.
You say that you bought an ex rental Sherwood reg from a local shop. I bet it was serviced before you bought it. One thing to realize is that regulators are not like car engines that wear out with use. Every time a reg is serviced all the moving parts are replaced and (if tuned correctly) it will perform like new again.
There are many regs that have superior (theoretical) performance than a Sherwood Brut but most divers will never be in a situation that a Brut couldn't supply them (and their buddy) with enough gas.
That said here's my usual list of budget regs that perform as well or better than models more than twice their price:

Aqualung LX
Zeagle Envoy
Apeks XTX 20
HOG D1

These are all diaphragm 1st stages with a balanced 2nd stage. They all are top of the line performers at a mid level price.
All are exceptionally reliable and have the potential to have "extended" service intervals.
(the HOG reg hasn't been around for very long but I base my opinions on the Apeks ATX 50, which the HOG D1 is a (improved) clone.

Back
Top Bottom