new sandals in Grenada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't dived Grenada but thinking about doing it. I haven't decided if I can dive sandals again but will be checking with dive ops. A friend of mine dived Grenada and said it was decent - Wrecks and statues. We've been to St. Lucia a couple of times so maybe it will be similar but will have to research diving more.

Whu do you say "I haven't decided if I can dive sandals again"???

The new Alert Diver mag has an article on Grenada. Personally I like the idea of Carriacou, I'm hooked on really small islands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whu do you say "I haven't decided if I can dive sandals again"???

Sandals diving in my experience is generally based on new/honeymoon divers who have shorter dives. It is very conservative, follow the leader and if there process is still the same, the groups come up when the first person reaches 1000 psi. We have been back on the boat with 1200 to 1800 psi left on some dives. Dives can be 30-40 minutes on non-deep dives. In Cozumel if I don't get 60+ minutes (and staying on tables) it's a short dive. They try to separate experienced divers from new divers but that depends on how many boats they are running and how many divers they have. They also don't go to more challenging sites in my opinion. They are very safety conscious which is not a bad thing but it can eliminate some good dives (or at least those I think should be done). They are also on tight schedules as they run snorkelers with the same boats. I have written some trip reports as have some others on this board about their experiences diving with them. We like the properties but the diving is herded. We generally don't have the option to explore or linger. However it is included in the price and in some parts the outside dive op can be expensive. I have gone to other dive ops while staying at Sandals and was much more satisfied. I am not saying they are a bad operation just conservative. It depends on what you want.

Diving in Grenada is good. There is a lot of variety in the diving, from fast drifts to challenging wrecks all the way down to nice reef and the Sculpture Park. The location of the Sandals (right by the airport) will mean that you would be located centrally between the existing dive operators and should be able to get to most sites easily. So far no operator has been chosen/announced for the operation, so I would suggest using one of the established operators instead - they know the sites and the best times/places to go there. Sandals will be opening and starting from scratch.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2013 at 09:57 PM ----------

Of course, I prefer diving in Carriacou, which is much more reef based and has infinitely more life and more to see (according to the majority of my guests who dive both). If you're looking for Sandals type accommodation and experience though, Carriacou is NOT for you....

Diving in Grenada is good. There is a lot of variety in the diving, from fast drifts to challenging wrecks all the way down to nice reef and the Sculpture Park. The location of the Sandals (right by the airport) will mean that you would be located centrally between the existing dive operators and should be able to get to most sites easily. So far no operator has been chosen/announced for the operation, so I would suggest using one of the established operators instead - they know the sites and the best times/places to go there. Sandals will be opening and starting from scratch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom