New Schooner located in Lake Erie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was contacted today about a new schooner that was located this last week by some friends, they asked if I wanted to dive it with them this Sunday, and of course I can't pass something up like that. The goal is to find a name, and or identity markings.
(I knew there was a reason, I have been saving all my milk cartons)

From what I have gotten out of them, it is a virgin wreck, 3 mast schooner, covered head to tail in Zebras, all the rigging hardware (deadeyes, capstan, etc.) is still in place, of course they are not telling me anything until I am on the boat. That way I can't talk. I am a blabermouth :)

But I'll post what I do find out after we dive it.

I so wish I could be there with you guys, that would be a dream come true.. To be one of the first people to dive a wreck, especialy one that large!

I hope you will post pics and other info as soon as possible!

Phil

Lil' Irish Temper:
I was contacted today about a new schooner that was located this last week by some friends, they asked if I wanted to dive it with them this Sunday, and of course I can't pass something up like that. The goal is to find a name, and or identity markings.
(I knew there was a reason, I have been saving all my milk cartons)

From what I have gotten out of them, it is a virgin wreck, 3 mast schooner, covered head to tail in Zebras, all the rigging hardware (deadeyes, capstan, etc.) is still in place, of course they are not telling me anything until I am on the boat. That way I can't talk. I am a blabermouth :)

But I'll post what I do find out after we dive it.

Eric, that is SO neat!! Lets us know what you find and send pictures!!

We will expect a full report! I am so jealous.

Ken

Tavi:
LIT..........you were gonna share the location, weren't you?? Or are your freinds going to blindfold you?? :wink:

Oh,

I'll talk as soon as I know whats going on, That's why nobody tells me anything. :eyebrow:

I don't think anyone is entitled to keep a wreck to themselves. I say share the knowledge so others can appreciate it.

Just in case anyone is planning to dive Barge 43 anytime soon with DD or whoever, I was out there today, and for a 30 foot dive ~ it's just a plain fun dive.

We started out to dive the Acme Propeller that went down off Dunkirk, but the waves started to kick up 2-3 feet so we called it, and went back in behind the breakwall.

On Barge 43, the viz was 15-20 feet which was very unexpected since it rained today. Strong current around it except on the starboard side, no current at all. Lots of bass and gobys. (I think I saw a turtle, but I'm not sure.) We entered through a hole in the deck in the center of the barge, and made our way to the bow. Being in such shallow water the ice is starting to take it toll, and she is starting to collapse, inside there are spots that the upper deck supports are only 3-4 feet off the mud.

I just thought I would share it with you because it was a fun dive, and sometimes I forget there is stuff closer in that is just as fun as the deeper dives :D

Tommorrow , The Schooner :)

Lil' Irish Temper:
I just thought I would share it with you because it was a fun dive, and sometimes I forget there is stuff closer in that is just as fun as the deeper dives :D

Totally agree!!!

Lil' Irish Temper:
Tommorrow , The Schooner :)

Isn't it tomorrow now? :D

ahhhh... I'll be patient. Time to get to bed so I can meet a buddy bright and early in the morning.

Paula

Well, after trying to hook 2 anchors into the rocks for almost an hour due to 6-8 foot waves we called the dive after 6 minutes of bottom time after the anchors came loose after the 4th time setting them. The area we were in is a rock shelf so there were few spots for the anchor to bite. During the whole time that they were trying to set the anchor, I was hanging over the side throwing my guts up, wishing I was dead. I was laughing and messing around the whole ride out there, but once we came to a stop, it was a different story.

After hooking a rock for maybe 3 minutes, It was time to leave after the anchors came loose again, everyone was playing chase the anchor, and try to hook something to hold the boat in place. I got tired of chasing everyone so I got ahold of the line and just held on for the ride.

In only 6 minutes I had burned through 200 PSI. and when I was 5 feet under the boat on the anchor line, I decided that I wasn't being safe anymore when, all I could do was to think about NOT getting on the boat again. I called my dive, enough was enough.

Sorry I didn't have a better story for you guys. Maybe next time

Forgot the NOAA buoy was saying:

DUNKIRK, NY – 8/21/2005 7:00:00 PM GMT
Winds SW at 28 MPH Gusts to 31 MPH Air: 78°F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom