New Seacraft Go! DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that price is with just one battery module, I believe the max range is when fully loaded with extra battery modules.
I couldn't find any reference to additional battery modules for this model on their website. Can you find one?

Any reason to consider the blacktip tech instead of this unit?
Immersed motor vs not in a salt water environment? I'd love to hear feedback from anyone running the other models as to how much of a faff this adds.

I think that price is with just one battery module, I believe the max range is when fully loaded with extra battery modules.
I think this is the travel battery for the Future 1000 unless I am mistaken?

The 6 module battery is 582 Wh and the 8 module battery is 780 Wh. Each segment is ~97 Wh. It lists prices for replacement modules.

I have not seen it in person but from the picture it looks like the Seacraft Go just has these battery modules separately in the tube? The pricing on their website says that it includes 6 battery modules.
1667227074767.png

It seems like it uses the same battery module segments in the Future travel battery which is very nice.

My thoughts, even at $4k it is good to see traditional scooter companies trying to creep into the value scooter market. Not everyone wants or needs to spend $8-10k on an expedition grade scooter. Not everyone wants to lug that 50lb scooter around to dive sites.

Comparing the Blacktip battery to a fixed battery is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. The Blacktip has to give up at least 20-30% of the potential battery space to allow you to change the battery. While fixed batteries also need to have the capacity to last an entire diving day, as they take hours to charge. So while potentially you can get more out of a fixed battery on a single dive day, you can get more out of an interchangeable battery for multi-dive days.

Comparing the Blacktip battery to a fixed battery is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. The Blacktip has to give up at least 20-30% of the potential battery space to allow you to change the battery. While fixed batteries also need to have the capacity to last an entire diving day, as they take hours to charge. So while potentially you can get more out of a fixed battery on a single dive day, you can get more out of an interchangeable battery for multi-dive days.

I'm not quite sure I understand the comparison. Watt-hours are watt-hours. I think what you're saying is it's quite easy to swap out Blacktip batteries for an additional dive very easily. I agree, that is absolutely the benefit of the Blacktip as it's simple to buy additional DeWalt modules and swap them out for additional dives. The is one really huge benefit of the Blacktip. Non-proprietary batteries that can be purchased at most hardware stories. e.g., if you lose a battery module in the Seacraft it's not something you can purchase at the corner store.

The downside is you have to open the scooter body which introduces risk of flooding the scooter.

I suppose you could do that with the Seacraft Go by purchasing an additional battery or additional modules batteries. In both instances they require you to open the scooter to change the batteries. I guess it's not a huge deal but as far as I can tell Genesis and Seacraft are still the only two DPV companies that have external charging without having to break the hermetic seal on the scooter.

The one thing I would potentially argue is that the Seacraft Go has to enough range/ burntime for multiple days of recreational diving. This is especially true if you're using the 9Ah batteries in the Blacktip.

Range is >10km in double tank drysuit kit for 3500 Euro?? Am I reading this right? This is far superior to the Blacktop Tech. Am I missing something here? Any reason to consider the blacktip tech instead of this unit?

IMO, At the original price of a Blacktip it was worth considering. At the $2100 (plus batteries) it costs now, no way. The Seacraft is a superior scooter and a much better value.

I'm not quite sure I understand the comparison. Watt-hours are watt-hours. I think what you're saying is it's quite easy to swap out Blacktip batteries for an additional dive very easily. I agree, that is absolutely the benefit of the Blacktip as it's simple to buy additional DeWalt modules and swap them out for additional dives

Because when you have to leave room for reserve over multiple dives a day, that "additional" range gets eaten up compared to replacing the batteries. It is a trade off.

The downside is you have to open the scooter body which introduces risk of flooding the scooter.

Blacktip vacuum module. Which is a great thing about Dive-X they are pretty responsive to their customers, they saw a demand and made it happen.

if you lose a battery module in the Seacraft it's not something you can purchase at the corner store.

Which is why I am leaning heavily today the Genesis for when I go to an expedition grade scooter. The battery modules are a crap ton of 18650s but using replaceable connectors instead of being welded in.

I guess it's not a huge deal but as far as I can tell Genesis and Seacraft are still the only two DPV companies that have external charging without having to break the hermetic seal on the scooter.

Another reason why I am favoring Genesis for my expedition grade scooter.

The one thing I would potentially argue is that the Seacraft Go has to enough range/ burntime for multiple days of recreational diving. This is especially true if you're using the 9Ah batteries in the Blacktip.

Yeah, at $4k I think tech divers are probably the market they is more likely to purchase it.

I'll bite. I'm a new DPV diver but heavily invested in the Blacktip ecosystem. I even ordered the vacuum bulkhead.

If I had to do it all over again and the Seacraft Go! was available a year ago I would have totally gone down that route. To me there are some major, major advantages:
1) Don't have to break the seal to charge it
2) On/Off button for increased safety when stowing the scooter
3) Magnetic shaft coupling, no seals and can easily pull out propeller during a dive

Obviously the lack of (1) on the Blacktip is by design of using PTB but (3) isn't even available on the flagship CudaX.

I do think DiveXtras has a major advantage as a manufacturer: they provide full schematics and will sell you parts online without forcing you to go through a dealer. That just makes my life pleasant and is a business approach I want to support.

Seacraft batteries seem to be super duper expensive to replace. I live close to (I think) the only Seacraft dealer in Canada and I asked them about the Go! - they mentioned it's an exciting product, but dependent on pricing (which will obviously be higher in North America). I bet they'll end up carrying it.

I will say I love the off-the-shelf DeWalt batteries & chargers. Home Depot will aggressively price match and price beat any hardware store in the country, good luck getting a 30% or more discount on proprietary Seacraft, Suex, etc batteries and chargers.

Which is why I am leaning heavily today the Genesis for when I go to an expedition grade scooter. The battery modules are a crap ton of 18650s but using replaceable connectors instead of being welded in.
I agree. I am heavily considering the Genesis 3.0 for my next scooter when I purchase a "big kid" scooter. I'm planning on doing that next winter.

Ultimately I am running into range issues for the dives I want to do even with the 20Ah batteries in my Blacktips. I just want a more reliable scooter with more thrust and a larger battery. The Blacktips have served me well and I am big fan / proponent of them for their price range. It may seem like I am disparaging them but they are great DPvs.

The ESC overheating issue that nobody talks about concerns me. I am very curious if the new VESC controller in the Blacktip address this issue. The newer Flipsky VESC 6.7 boards are rated for continuous 70A discharge vs 50A continuous of the older boards they were using the Blacktips. Obviously it will also depend on any improvements made in cooling too.

The Blacktip will throttle itself at speeds 7-8; Blacktip calls this "boost" mode. The issue actually also happens in speeds 5-6 in extended runtimes running in those gears. I dont believe most people run into this but I've experienced it in Ginnie, Manatee and Jackson Blue which are higher flow caves where once can travel long distances. The scooter prop will start to jitter for a lack of a better description.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom