New Seacraft Go! DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is not a single Tech DPV on the market today that uses a brushed motor...

The only ones that still use brushed motors are the $500 pool toys.

There is not a single Tech DPV on the market today that uses a brushed motor...

I believe current Suex DPVs all use brushed motors. A dealer told me their engineers claim it's somehow more efficient or better than brushless for DPV usage.

I believe current Suex DPVs all use brushed motors. A dealer told me their engineers claim it's somehow more efficient or better than brushless for DPV usage.
WTF, its not 1999 anymore, every other manufacture has figured out how to design a proper motor.
SS tried that line 15 years ago and got left in the dust by the competition.

Hmm. Blacktip at $2000 (in man money -- batteries aren't mentioned when getting the budget). Excellent functionality AND you can use the batteries for power tools AND you can fly with the thing and beg/borrow/rent batteries at the destination

Seacraft Go at around $4000 (inc tax, inc batteries). It does look a quality DPV with nice features.

It's a lot harder to get budgetary approval for $4k than $2k. I'd rather have a scooter in the hand than looking at one in the shop.

To be fair though, you do have to add the price of the batteries, which makes it ~$2500, still a pretty sizeable difference. Here's a quick comparison of the differences, to see what the additional money buys you. Side-by-side with a BlackTip Travel w/12Ah Batteries

BlackTip TravelSeacraft Go
Price (w/12Ah Batteries)$1,900 ($2,520)$4,100
Length24" (61cm)20.5" (52cm)
Weight lbs (kg)24lbs (10.9kg)**21.5lbs (9.7kg)
Depth rating330ft (100m)426ft (130m)
Runtime (@45m/min)123min>220min
Range (@45m/min)3.5 miles (5.6km)>6miles (>10km)
Other prosUses generic batteries, open source firmware for customization, can be made neutral, local (US) supportMagnetic drive (no shaft seals), external charging, tested to 200m (650ft), robust build quality, neutral and trim
Other consLower build quality, will not trim, requires more maintenance due to shaft sealsProprietary batteries (more expensive), not sure about support in US?

* If I've missed anything major in the comparison, please let me know, I'll update it.
** It's not clear whether the 24lb weight includes batteries, I don't think it does!

Bottom line: Seacraft Go is a smaller, lighter unit with higher build quality, greater capability (depth, range, power) and so on. However, it is 60% more expensive and the Blacktip can be even cheaper with smaller capacity batteries.

If you care about trim you buy the Tech, not the travel.

If you care about trim you buy the Tech, not the travel.

Sure, but it'll make that comparison look even worse. Tech is more expensive, larger, heavier, but has the same capabilities (only depth is increased to 400ft).

I'm not sure how much the trim matters beyond aesthetics. When you get on the trigger it's trim. Probably matters a lot more to cave divers who are towing a scooter, but then I don't think the BlackTip is your first choice for a serious dive like that, no?

Probably matters a lot more to cave divers who are towing a scooter, but then I don't think the BlackTip is your first choice for a serious dive like that, no?

Not everyone has $16k to drop on two expedition grade scooters. You can keep the BT as the tow scooter until you can afford a second $8k scooter.
Sure, but it'll make that comparison look even worse. Tech is more expensive, larger, heavier, but has the same capabilities (only depth is increased to 400ft).

Really depends on what you value from your scooter. A lot of people are cost conscious.

To be fair though, you do have to add the price of the batteries, which makes it ~$2500, still a pretty sizeable difference. Here's a quick comparison of the differences, to see what the additional money buys you. Side-by-side with a BlackTip Travel w/12Ah Batteries

BlackTip TravelSeacraft Go
Price (w/12Ah Batteries)$1,900 ($2,520)$4,100
Length24" (61cm)20.5" (52cm)
Weight lbs (kg)24lbs (10.9kg)**21.5lbs (9.7kg)
Depth rating330ft (100m)426ft (130m)
Runtime (@45m/min)123min>220min
Range (@45m/min)3.5 miles (5.6km)>6miles (>10km)
Other prosUses generic batteries, open source firmware for customization, can be made neutral, local (US) supportMagnetic drive (no shaft seals), external charging, tested to 200m (650ft), robust build quality, neutral and trim
Other consLower build quality, will not trim, requires more maintenance due to shaft sealsProprietary batteries (more expensive), not sure about support in US?

* If I've missed anything major in the comparison, please let me know, I'll update it.
** It's not clear whether the 24lb weight includes batteries, I don't think it does!

Bottom line: Seacraft Go is a smaller, lighter unit with higher build quality, greater capability (depth, range, power) and so on. However, it is 60% more expensive and the Blacktip can be even cheaper with smaller capacity batteries.

Few comments…
  • No mention of the number of "gears"/speeds. Blacktip has 8
  • The Tec version is the most popular as it trims correctly and has a 120m/400ft MOD
  • Unless cave diving, you don’t need long duration batteries.
  • If duration is important to you, use the Expedition version with four batteries and double the duration of the others
  • The 9AH batteries give more than enough duration at half the price of the 12AH batteries. Or two sets of batteries for long double dives or weekends
  • You can use the batteries for other tasks, drilling, planing, mowing…
  • Cheap is more important than quality at double the price. I got my Blacktip as $2000 was a good price. $4000 is way too much for my (wife approved) budget
  • It works really well (since updating the firmware)
  • YMMV, horses for courses, bird in the hand, etc.

When I buy toys, I buy toys that I can’t outgrow. Neither this or the blacktip meets that requirement. I just ordered 3 Genesis 3.0’s. I have one spare if anyone wants it.

Back
Top Bottom