New Shark Report Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceana Diver

Reaction score
Sharks used to be the top of the marine food chain, but not anymore. The End of the Line?, a report released by Oceana and WildAid, details the global threats sharks face from the new top predator, man. Download a copy to learn what's driving shark populations to dangerously low levels, and what needs to be done to save them.

I was afraid we were the species that was replacing them. I guess that means I can sink my fangs into the next great white shark I encounter off our coast.

Seriously, I plan to download this report and read it. On our last two shark dives we considered ourselves "fortunate" to encounter 2 makos and 2 blues on one and 2 makos and 3 blues on the other. Of course we had to venture 5-12 miles out into the open ocean and chum (not a lot) to bring them in.

Compare this to the days when I started diving out here in the 60's and early 70's. On our boat trips to the dive sites we would often play a game of count the blue sharks. There were often that many (dozens) right along the coast. I'd see them while diving several of our dive sites. The only time I see them from a boat or while diving is with effort during our shark dives. Very sad.

:( Thats so sad....I'm actually crying... :(

Yes I reading the report on that and gonna use that for my future project in school. I'll give the place credit also.

I'd like to add that although I've spoken to a lot of divers about shark encounters in Monterey, I usually get back, "I've been diving for 10+ years and never seen a shark". Then on my 10th dive at Lovers point my buddy and I on our return to shore bump into a school of Leopard sharks feeding on crustaseans.

I got video footage of them and was honored to have been lucky to see them. Once we got to shore and were hiking back to get another tank, spectators on shore viewed them from above circling all over the shore.

It was a wonderful sight to see, and sad to know that a once in a lifetime events may disappear for lack of education on our part.

MG

hi guys,

we have just finished our report ion shark fishing in mozambique and have sent it to the shark trust, EOTH (in south africa) and our project partners in Momzabique.

the scale and extend of this industry worldwide is shocking - theres a new fild called sharkwater coming out at the end of feb so definately check that out;

once its uploaded onto the Quest Underseas website I will let you know.

Cheers,

Chris

sorry - a new film called sharkwater.

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom