New Sony or wait for G17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

24-70mm lens for underwater use is useless. RX100 mark II is the way to go. Just posted a gallery in the sony section mostly wide angle check that out

Interceptor: I'm still in time to return my recently purchased RX100II and wait for the new incoming; planing to purchase the UW housing, so I din't any inversion yet. Base on the new video codec capabilities and faster processor, shall I have to wait or go with the existing UW Mark II hardware? I'm not sure if the video quality justify the long wait for the housing and lens.
thanks

The lens is the same and at 70mm there is only one stop difference. If you shoot wide angle you want a 28mm lens as non fisheye exists for 24mm. Plus 70 mm makes the macro even weaker. I won't be upgrading to mark III the mark II is the best for uw use

The lens is the same and at 70mm there is only one stop difference. If you shoot wide angle you want a 28mm lens as non fisheye exists for 24mm. Plus 70 mm makes the macro even weaker. I won't be upgrading to mark III the mark II is the best for uw use

thanks for the advice, here is a preliminary review confirming your statement:

[h=1]Sony RX-100 III initial thoughts[/h][h=3]Focusing on underwater photography[/h]
By Scott Gietler
[h=2]History of the Sony RX-100 III[/h]When the Sony RX-100 was released in June of 2012, it had a huge impact in the underwater photography field. It packed a huge sensor it a tiny size, did great video, it could do TTL in manual mode, and it worked great with all wide-angle lenses.

The RX-100 II came out in June/July of last year, but offered little in terms of new features. Now less than a year later, Sony has announced the RX-100 III. Although it adds a better video bit-rate and adds an electronic viewfinder, it also changes the lens from a 28-100mm lens to 24-70mm lens, which may not be a good thing.

With a wet macro lens, a longer focal length will always give you more working distance and more magnification, so I expect a step back in these areas. In addition, we have generally seen 24mm lenses not work as a well with wide-angle wet lenses as 28mm lenses do. This will have to be tested, but that is another potential negative.
sony-rx100-III-review.jpg
[h=2][/h][h=2][/h][h=2]Sony RX-100 III pros and cons for underwater photography[/h]
[h=3]Pros:[/h]
  • Bit rate for video increased from 28Mbps to 50Mpbs
  • Electronic viewfinder is now included
  • New 24-70mm F1.8/2.8 lens is brighter at 70mm that the old lens
[h=3]Cons:[/h]
  • 10% larger and 20% heavier than the RX-100
  • 45% more costly than the RX-100
  • 24-70mm lens will not give as much magnification with a wet macro lens
  • 24-70mm lens gives less working distance for shy subjects
  • 24-70mm lens may not work as well with wet wide-angle lenses
  • less battery life

Of course we will be testing this camera out when it is released in June to update our initial thoughts. But unless Sony has greatly increased the focusing ability or image quality, which is unlikely, I'll probably be recommending people stick with the RX-100 or RX-100 II if they are focusing on underwater photography if they call for advice at Bluewater Photo.

Here's the real problem: By the time underwater housings are available for either a G17 or a Sony RX100 III, the G18 and RX100 IV will be close to release and you'll want to wait for THEM to come out, then you'll have to wait several months more for housings, then the G19 and RX100 V will be in the works, then.....

Sure, you'll be able to buy a Canon housing right away, but I personally wouldn't use one unless you're just a casual/shallow diver.

Well, I am not so worried about having the latest and greatest, and the standard canon housing has worked for me, albeit I usually am at the surface. The thing is, I use a DSLR a lot and the compact I use when I am out of water mainly, but I want it to work well under water. The G16 does not seem to offer much over my G11, well def not enough to buy a new compact and housing, then extra batteries, however the rumoured extra large sensor for G17 and what the Sony is actually offering today means an upgrade is likely to be worthwhile.

I also have no rush, my next assignment for new camera and housing is in early 2015, till then my existing gear serves well, and I would probably end up clipping the G11 on when I go anyway as a secondary.

have you compared the Nauticam with the Ikelite housing? Ikelite seems to come out with housings for the new cameras fairly quickly. ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom