New Species found: Southern California Blow Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

California Diver:
ohh youre the serial vomiter, nice to meet you hope you had fun watching me and terry eating twinkies and cup cakes as you were spewing! see ya next trip

HAhaah yeah... Those smells almost got to me. Especially the cupcake one.

Hey Shaxs glad to see your alive. My son and I were the other two on the boat watching you turn yourself inside out. While California Diver was eating a twinkie he was also the one that kept saying "I can't watch this..I can't watch this..." I think if he had turned around and faced the back of the boat you may have had some company:D . Despite having to drop through the yellow tide on the second dive, we had two great dives on the Ruby E and also had the opportunity to meet some scubaboarders.

Take Care

Mike Mc

hes lucky i didnt know he was shaxs otherwise i would of gotten some pictures :)

California Diver:
hes lucky i didnt know he was shaxs otherwise i would of gotten some pictures :)

Haha, those would have been so fun pictures to add to the good 'ol memory book (no, I am a heterosexual male and therfore do not have a memory book.....or do I)

Shaxs... I'm sorry to have to tell you, but as a marine biologist I know that species is not new to southern California. I have personally observed it here (from a respectful distance of course) dating back to the 60's. It actually is more common than you'd imagine. Some individuals are pretty good at "camouflaging" the identifying characteristics, prefering to hide in the heads or wait until they are 60 feet under.

I say this not to discredit your sighting, but to assure you that the species you described has a larger population than most estimate. Why there was even the day back in 1974 or 1975 when I temporarily mutated into that species. Fortunately it was a reversible mutation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom