New tank for nitrox, air first.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys, i have 2 tanks already for air, i'm doing my mitrox course in Sept, and my local dive shop is having a sale at the moment, i have a trip coming up i need a third tank for, this will be before my nitrox class. I was thinking of buying a new tank for nitrox use, but iw as wondering, if i get it now can i use it for air first for this trip, then use it for nitrox then? what's needed to convert it, will it need to be oxygen cleaned?

all help appreciated

get it nitrox cleaned when you buy it and only put nitrox quality air in it - shouldn't be an issue if the place you get your fills at also does nitrox.

And no cleaning is necessary if they are continuous blending nitrox, membrane filling, or banking. Only if they are partial blending in the tank (which is not recommended by the tank manufacturers) would there be any problem of switching from air to nitrox or vice versa.

And if no cleaning is necessary, you probably don't need a tank dedicated to nitrox...So, as Larry pointed out, you first need to find out where you're most likely to get your EAN from, then get an O2 clean tank or not, depending.

scubatoys:
And no cleaning is necessary if they are continuous blending nitrox, membrane filling, or banking. Only if they are partial blending in the tank (which is not recommended by the tank manufacturers) would there be any problem of switching from air to nitrox or vice versa.

I wish people would stop giving out false information..

the bottom line is ALWAYS follow manufacturer recommendations (the shop should if they want to be covered by insurance)

Both Catalina AND Luxfer's official policies is that ANYTHING over 23% MUST be manintained OXYGEN CLEAN. It does NOT matter the method of filling..

Other manufacturer's may have different policies, both of the above policies are available for download on the web.

If you are using Thermo valves the say they MUST be maintained oxygen clean above 23% and do not recommend partial pressure blending with their valves.

padiscubapro:
Both Catalina AND Luxfer's official policies is that ANYTHING over 23% MUST be manintained OXYGEN CLEAN. It does NOT matter the method of filling..

I'll be darn. I guess thats one way to cover their butts even though it seems extreme to O2 clean and maintain a O2 clean for a tank that will never see partial pressure blending or mixes above 32% or 36% for the average diver.

Do you have any idea what PST suggests for their E-series tanks.

padiscubapro:
I wish people would stop giving out false information..

the bottom line is ALWAYS follow manufacturer recommendations (the shop should if they want to be covered by insurance)

Other manufacturer's may have different policies, both of the above policies are available for download on the web.

If you are using Thermo valves the say they MUST be maintained oxygen clean above 23% and do not recommend partial pressure blending with their valves.

So, all your regs are O2 clean for use with EAN<40%?

If we were to follow this logic, we'd have to O2 clean our tanks each time we get an EAN fill made with any method other than PP (as hyper air is usually only available in connection with a PP fill).

Along the same line, I know a few dive boats that should have exploded a long while ago as they offer pre-banked or membrane EAN without hyper air...

BTW, can you name one single incident with use of EAN<40% in a non O2 clean environment?

Arnaud:
BTW, can you name one single incident with use of EAN<40% in a non O2 clean environment?

According to the last Dan report on the subject I saw.... It has never happened... But don't think some won't try to make a buck of the diver by telling him he has to O2 clean his tank, reg, bc, booties, snorkel, ...

scubatoys:
According to the last Dan report on the subject I saw.... It has never happened... But don't think some won't try to make a buck of the diver by telling him he has to O2 clean his tank, reg, bc, booties, snorkel, ...

Don't forget to O2 clean the inside of your drysuit unless you are a argon user :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom