New 'tent' makes it possible to camp underwater via NatGeo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How deep was the tent secured in place?

The habitat at Twin Dees is at 40' due to the profile of the entrance.
It is anchored down on some I beams, but basically is just a balloon that is inflated in the cave against the ceiling. Here is an old video with a bit more background info on the site, at around minute 6:20 you can see the habitat briefly from the outside.

Aristotle came up with the original idea in 350BC. Of course, he was not a GUE diver. Nor was he certified for nitrox.

Oh my heck! I wasn't aware of that movie. A review on Rottom Tomatoes says "I couldn't wait for these people to drown." After reading the plot on Wikipedia, it appears they couldn't wait for each other to drown either. It looks like James Cameron committed an affront to civilization!

It wasn't that bad. Hollywood misadventure movie. That's all.

When I see any movie with airplane references in it for any reason, I cringe 19 times in 20. Except the movie Airplane! of course. That was brilliant.

Our patent isn’t focused on the inflatable itself - these have been used for decades. Although we have made improvements to the overall concept through our work. The novel element protected is the means in which life support is introduced and replenished within the inflatable. It’s a very powerful tool in the right circumstances.

The "tent" is the easy thing, its lugging around the ballast that's hard! Read Stone's Wakulla 1 book and that "tent".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom