New the the SMB... Line/spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.freedomfilm.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bought a new SMB from SCUBATOYS (Thanks Larry). The "Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve"
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Acc_signal.asp

Mostly will be used for safety stops when boat diving in the Caribbean, and drift diving/safety in BC/Vancouver. Any hints? Here is my big question: Line recommendations please... Spool?

The dive masters in Coz I have seen use them just with 15ft or so of line wrapped around them. What are you all using?
Thanks.

I have a similar SMB. I use a 100' finger spool, works great. I do a fair bit of solo diving and always shoot it and drag it around after 60 minutes so the boat knows where I am.

Finger spool, 100 to 150 feet of line because on a drift dive the marker will not be directly above you but rather on an angle.

Mark Vlahos

Nice big Mcmahon reel:

lar_reel500.jpg

Comes with 50m (170ft) of line.

Great for deploying from the bottom before surfacing or for a towed marker if drifting.

Finger spool, 100 ft of line. I don't see myself deploying from any deeper that 50 to 60 ft. So far, deployments have all been from 20 to 30 ft.

This is one of those "it depends" answers.
Most of the time I use a spool. But if we're deep and freeboating, I'll use a reel so I can shoot from the site, which makes the boat's job a whole lot easier when there's current. I have also learned that layered currents can cause you to need considerably more scope than your depth when doing deep shots :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom