New to Alexandria VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello and welcome to the nabe!

Currently the best of the "local" diving is down outside Richmond VA at Lake Phoenix. It's a nice quarry, but unfortunately traffic is back so the commute can get a bit rough. I think it's about 2.5 hours on a good day, and 6 hours on a really really bad day. Read their stuff on the website and everything before you go.

There is Juturna Springs which isn't reopen AFAIK. The other local spots are mostly private (training only via shops) or closed at the moment.

Dutch Springs I think is still open up in PA but really expensive for what it is (I've heard, no experience there.) It's a 4 hour drive so could be expensive time & fuel wise. I think someone told me it will change ownership soon though -- so no idea what that means.

Local club wise -- there is the DC MD VA Scuba club via Meetup.com which is a shop-independent club that has a huuuuuge member base, and some active members. I go to the first Thursday meetups when I can, and have been to the camping things at Phoenix which was cool. They have some trips and stuff coming up too. I try to support them and show em love cause it's a cool group and good local resource.

I suppose it depends what you are into as far as diving... recreational, technical, drysuit cold, speedo warm, zero viz quarries, 200ft viz tropical islands, photography, sharks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom