New to Area: Question re Diving in the Bay ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwfletcher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
... I just moved to the island of Alameda in the East Bay from Newport Beach. I was curious as to whether anyone dives in the Bay itself, or just out in the ocean. If there is diving in the Bay itself, are there any wrecks or good spots that I should know about? Also, is it generally pretty murky or are there some spots with reasonable viz? I have scoured the forums and have been unable to find much info. Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated ... my gills are starting to dry out.

Thanks in advance :)

I have never heard of or seen anybody diving in the Bay. Most diving is in Moterey to the south or Sonoma to the north.
Welcome to the Bay area, you have a nice view of SF from Alemeda.

SF Bay? Nope. Anything south of the San Mateo bridge is going to be less than 10 feet deep (or in the commercial anchorage which will get you a visit from the USCG in less than about 30 minutes), and anything north of the Bay Bridge could have a ripping current (5+ knots at times out the Gate), along with vis < 1ft. I have wondered about those rocks out by the Cliff House/Ocean Beach, but don't know anyone who has dived 'em, and they are part of the "red triangle." There were literally hundreds of wrecks (actually scuttled) in the bay from the gold rush era, but they've long since been covered in silt or rotted away.

The Farallon's would be a nice dive, but you'll need to wait for late spring or early summer, when the great white sharks leave. But there are charters that go there this time of year to dive with the sharks. Cage diving, of course.

dannobee:
The Farallon's would be a nice dive, but you'll need to wait for late spring or early summer, when the great white sharks leave. But there are charters that go there this time of year to dive with the sharks. Cage diving, of course.
GW season at the Farallones is Sept., Oct., Nov. I'll go diving there Jan 1 - July 4. The
diving is superb, but VERY advanced. Ripping currents, two hours + from a chamber, and
even outside Landlord season, you want to surface next to the boat and get right in.

New to the area: Monterey or North Coast, and hook up with someone who knows
the ropes here. The water is colder, the kelp is thicker, the swell is bigger. There's a
list of local dive clubs at http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/links/clubs.html.
Aqua Tutus (literally "water safety", not diving ballerinas) is a good bunch and not too
far from Alameda.

Diving in the Bay - El yucko. I dont want to dive in any water where you are advised to only eat one fish a month fished out of it.

From Alameda, Monterey is only 2 hours away, see you there.

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like no bay diving for me :-( The problem is, I live bay front and the water is just calling me. I was really hoping that there would be a few wrecks to dive, even if the water is a tad murky.

There is ZERO viz in the bay. Believe me I know. Do not evey try to dive it. The wrecks are far out of reach and far too dangerous to attempt.

Northern California diving is done in Monterey or in Sonoma.

Everyone's right about the bay, there's nothing.
But consider the North Coast. If you take 880 to 580 over the richmond bridge and onto 101 north you could be in Sonoma County in a few hours. Go north from Jenner on hwy 1 and the diving starts about Fort Ross and goes all the way up to Mendocino County to Fort Bragg. There are many good shore diving spots.

Keep a look out on this board and the next time a group of us meets on the North Coast for a day of diving you should join us.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Monterey but people tend to forget just how good Sonoma Coast diving can be.

ZKY

And much closer for you ZKY, which in my opinion can make it even nicer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom