New to Bonaire and need to know the ropes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to travel to Bonaire this coming April for the first time. I'd like to take advantage of the mobility of the truck rentals and unlimited diving available from many resorts. While my buddy is an experienced diver, we're not entirely comfortable with the idea of taking a tank, a truck and finding a random shore from which to dive from. Generally speaking, what is the "typical" experience for new visitors to Bonaire? Do you find some vets and get them to take you under their wing? Or do some simply hire a DM? Also, I hear the shore dives from a lot of the house reefs are really great. Are you generally oriented to these on arrival and then free to dive afterwards?

I've tried to snoop as much info from the forums until now, so thanks for the insight!

-Andy

What's the issue with diving on your own? Do you not feel competent to dive without a DM? You can get information on all the sites so you know what to expect before you hit the water.

Its not a question of competence. I've always been told to find someone who knows the water and get them to show you around first. Perhaps I should clarify and say someone with experience diving in the area rather than a DM per se. Am I still naive in thinking that?

As for trip time, looking at staying around the 3rd week of April.

I am arriving on the 25th of April. Would do a couple of dives with your group and talk about the "lay of the land" if you were arriving while we were there.

Andy, where will you be staying? The places I've stayed (Cap't Don's Habitat, Buddy's, Plaza) all required you to do an orientation ... which is where they explain the "rules" of diving on Bonaire ... you buy your STIPA (?) tag ... and then you do an orientation dive on the house reef. After that, it's pretty much "dive where and when you please". There are maps that show you where all the dive sites are ... and if you're in drive-n-dive mode, you just look for the yellow rocks beside the road with the dive site name painted on 'em, pull over, gear up, and go diving. It doesn't get much easier. The reefs are all real diver-friendly, and there's not much way you can get lost or anything.

About the only dives you'll need a DM for would be the Salt Pier or Town Pier and that's more due to the fact that you need a permit than because you need a guide.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob is right, but what he failed to mention is that your check-out dive on your house reef will prepare you for just about ALL the conditions on the dive sites of Bonaire (unless you go extreme north or south).

There's pretty much zero current and navigation is easy. Buy Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy as a guide to give you entry/exit information and where the sites are. You'll also pick up a map (as a companion) when you hit the island, which has all the marked sites on it as well.

Bonaire diving is VERY easy, and for the experienced diver is a piece of cake. You'll see that you had nothing to worry about, but your concerns are normal and understandable...heck, I wondered similar things prior to my first trip. :wink:

Yes - I don't think you will have any problem going on your own. Navigation is easy. no currents. When we did our orientation dive, there was not a DM or guide with us. We were just told the rules of diving in Bonaire and told to go do a weight check and check our bouyancy. I agree with getting Susan Porter's book. Very helpful to know about the entries and exits.

Its not a question of competence. I've always been told to find someone who knows the water and get them to show you around first. Perhaps I should clarify and say someone with experience diving in the area rather than a DM per se. Am I still naive in thinking that?

As for trip time, looking at staying around the 3rd week of April.

Maybe this will help some.
After your orientation at the dive op, you will be required to do a "check out" dive at their house reef. This is mainly for you to check your gear and get your weights correct. Once that's done you can get in your truck and drive along the shore until you see a yellow rock, there are around 80 of them so they are not hard to find. Each rock has the name of the site on it. You pull off the road, gear up and walk in. The reef starts in a few feet of water and slowly gets deeper until you reach the drop off which is at a depth of around 35 ft. The distance from shore to the dropoff varies from a few yards to over 100 yds but its at every site. The drop off is very clear as the reef goes from a gental slope to a 45 to 90 deg drop. Depending on where are are at, the bottom of the drop is anywhere from 80 ft to over 400 ft. Before submerging, take a compass reading and head straight out from shore, once you reach the dropoff, decide which way you want to go (always into the current) and the depth at which you want to stay (I recommend just staying on the reef break- it's the prettiest spot anyway) then head out. At your turning point note the time and follow the reef back, you will get back faster due to the current so keep that in mind. When you are at the point where your started following the dropoff of the reef, do a 90 deg turn (180 on your compass if you set it) from the reef dropoff and head in. Take your time in the shallows, there is a lot to see for those who take the time to look and you are doing a long safety stop at the same time. When you reach around 20 ft of water, one or both surface and take a compass heading on your exit point (your truck makes a good land mark). Drop back down and head in. Get out, swap tanks and repeat. It's that simple. Here are some shots of a site called Witches Hut to give you some idea of what the sites look like. I have a buch of photos of Bonaire on the NC Divers photo gallery if you care to see more.

Hi all,

I'm looking to travel to Bonaire this coming April for the first time. I'd like to take advantage of the mobility of the truck rentals and unlimited diving available from many resorts. While my buddy is an experienced diver, we're not entirely comfortable with the idea of taking a tank, a truck and finding a random shore from which to dive from. Generally speaking, what is the "typical" experience for new visitors to Bonaire? Do you find some vets and get them to take you under their wing? Or do some simply hire a DM? Also, I hear the shore dives from a lot of the house reefs are really great. Are you generally oriented to these on arrival and then free to dive afterwards?

I've tried to snoop as much info from the forums until now, so thanks for the insight!

-Andy

I remember how nervous we were on our first trip to Bonaire --- the whole idea of going out on our own was so new to us but now we can't imagine any other way.

First, I suggest getting a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter. It lists all the shore dive sites, rates them as far as ease of entry and gives a description of the site. Many people are mentioning that it was written "pre-Omar" but having been to Bonaire both pre and post Omar we find it still to be of great value.

Second, as "newbies" to Bonaire I will give you the same advice we got. Pick a dive site with a mooring bouy (yellow post). Swim to the buoy (usually not very far). Take a compass heading to the shore. Drop down and note the depth of the mooring (usually a cement block or two barrels). Choose your direction; there is rarely current but check anyway. Go in that direction for the length of time you and your buddy have chosen, turn and return at the depth of the marker. Turn into shore, enjoy the shallows and surface in about 4 feet of water! We have, of course, tweaked this over time as we have learned more about Bonaire shore diving but it worked well in the beginning. Also remember that if you are heading to shore and miss your exact mark you can probably find an acceptable place to exit!

You will want hard soled booties to deal with the shore entries. Leave nothing of value in your truck and the windows down.

Some non-diving tips ... you will need to ask for your check in restaurants as it is considered poor manners to present the check before the customer asks. US dollars are widely accepted (in smaller denominations) but change will be in Naf.

PM me if you have any other questions ... we have been going for 10 years and are there 3-4 times a year for extended periods.

Back
Top Bottom