New to Diving! And have a few questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MindeeO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! I am new to diving, and in all my searches and quests for new information, I stumbled across this forum. I recently completed my classroom training, pool dives, and open water dives (but yet to master all my skills towards certification- ugh!). For a bit of context, I use a wheelchair due to T12 spinal cord injury, and have a few questions (that might be best answered by others in a similar situation):

1. Being that I use my hands (rather than feet) to propel through the water, I find it difficult to navigate with a compass that is connected to my BCD. I have considered a digital compass on my wrist. Do others think that this is a good idea? Or have better ideas?
  2. I also am experiencing positive buoyancy in my legs at the surface, but at depth (30-40 feet) they seem to be neutrally buoyant. If I don't weight my legs at the surface, I descend upside down. If I weight my legs, I can descend in a better position, but then swim in a "standing position" I am thinking about weighting my legs until I get to depth, and then move the weights from legs to BCD. Thoughts? (BTW, they are 1-2 pound weights).
  3. Any other great advice to a new diver?

Thanks!

Mindee, good on you for making this happen for you. I do not have any of the challenges you do but understand some of them. My late wife was in a chair due to muscular dystrophy. She did not dive but loved the water.

As someone with a passion for UW Nav to the point that I wrote an entire course for my agency dealing with it, I not only think a wrist mount compass is ok but for you absolutely the best choice. Who am I kidding? I think they are the best choice for anyone. Put it in line with a wrist mounted computer or bottom timer and you have all the info in a direct easy to use place for successful nav. You don't even need to spend the dough on a digital. Get one of the new Edge compasses like I sell with a bungee.

As long as you are able to equalize ok I see no problem with you doing head down descents. I also see no problem with you trying ankle weights that you can remove at depth other than what happens if you drop them? Is it possible for you to perhaps use your buddy as a sherpa for that? Just to reduce the task loading until you get smooth with it. What kind of BC are you using now and what type of weight system?

So glad you are diving. I agree with Jim concerning your legs and questions about gauges. You could check the website Diveheart.org where disabled veterans are learning to dive. I am sure they will be able to answer all of your questions.

Welcome to the board MindeeO. I know a lot of divers prefer wrist mounted compasses but I am wondering if maybe a better alternative to a wrist mount might be some kind of special mount. Just thinking off hand, maybe something on a slate that could be suspended from around your neck and attached to your BC some how. It could be suspended in such a manner that you could read it but at the same time have your hands free to swim. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of BC do you normally dive?

As someone with a passion for UW Nav to the point that I wrote an entire course for my agency dealing with it, I not only think a wrist mount compass is ok but for you absolutely the best choice. Who am I kidding? I think they are the best choice for anyone. Put it in line with a wrist mounted computer or bottom timer and you have all the info in a direct easy to use place for successful nav. You don't even need to spend the dough on a digital. Get one of the new Edge compasses like I sell with a bungee.

As long as you are able to equalize ok I see no problem with you doing head down descents. I also see no problem with you trying ankle weights that you can remove at depth other than what happens if you drop them? Is it possible for you to perhaps use your buddy as a sherpa for that? Just to reduce the task loading until you get smooth with it. What kind of BC are you using now and what type of weight system?

Thanks for responding! In using the new Edge compasses with a bungee, wouldn't I be worried about burying the needle. I would like to quickly position my wrist in front of me (as part of my swimming stroke, almost). Does that make sense?

As for head down descent, I guess it is kind of like diving and no worries about no realizing that I have arrived at the bottom! All that said, it does feel disconcerting (more so than being reliant on an air tank and regulator for every breath!). With time, I bet it gets better.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 05:27 PM ----------

You could check the website Diveheart.org where disabled veterans are learning to dive. I am sure they will be able to answer all of your questions.

Thanks! I looked at the website you suggested, and I didn't see a forum or place to solicit info. Did I miss something? Or are you suggesting, I just reach out to them...

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 05:31 PM ----------

Welcome to the board MindeeO. I know a lot of divers prefer wrist mounted compasses but I am wondering if maybe a better alternative to a wrist mount might be some kind of special mount. Just thinking off hand, maybe something on a slate that could be suspended from around your neck and attached to your BC some how. It could be suspended in such a manner that you could read it but at the same time have your hands free to swim. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of BC do you normally dive?

I hope everyone in diving is so welcoming!

I, too, have tried to think of other ways to attach and suspend a compass. I can think of ways to attach it, but not make it suspend correctly without constant readjustments (and that is what I am trying to prevent). When I swim, it throws me off to keep needing to reach for my compass. As one can imagine, navigating with a compass while snorkeling was slow! Paddle, paddle, check compass, paddle, check compass. That was slow locomotion!

dont try to nav and move at the same time.
look at the compass heading, pick an object or area in that direction and swim to it-repeat as required.

the bouyancy issue is something that all new divers go through whatever their circumstances.
i would be tempted to give the ankle weights a miss for a while -you may find that as you dive more you will find a better decent attitude.
weighting is critical(and its placement) but if you cant find a solution with your current bcd you may want to have a go with a wing that allows control over where the air is and as a result how your body is positioned.

for an accurate assessment you need a good instructor in the water with you-i wish i could help but i'm not close.

thanks for posting and have fun in the water.

Last edited:
If you're looking for other resources one is the: Handicap Scuba Association

How are you weighting now? Weightbelt or an integrated BC with weights in pockets? If you are diving integrated, try redistributing your weight. Some divers will even add 1-2 lbs. near the top of their tank to trim out better. Although that may not help your particular problem.

just another thought-.

your wetsuit will be very bouyant at the surface so your legs will float and your weights will make you head down.

as you decend the wetsuit will compress and your legs will sink but your bcd will compensate in your upper body making you more head up.

maybe try a thin wetsuit or a shorty?

2p

I will offer the following observations:
To teach adaptive scuba the instructor should have additional training from the Handicapped Scuba Association International (the original celebrating 31 years) or similar organization.

2. The compass is always a challenge. it is unlikely that a wrist mounted compass would be more useful than a console. Both would be subject to bury the neddle and so with.both.you would need to stop.swimming long enough to level the compass and take a.sighting on a distant point to swim to. I have no experience with the new electronic compass and don't know if the have to be held level. In any case you still have to pause long enough to read the thing.
3. Normally with paralyzed students we put weight on the ankles during the decent and then move the weight to the chest. To ascend we reverse this. For some divers e put fins on to add the weight and the.toward movement of them mobile through the water kicks their legs up behind them. Some discover they can kick their normally paralyzed legs.

dont try to nav and move at the same time.
look at the compass heading, pick an object or area in that direction and swim to it-repeat as required.

We were in a quarry, so beyond my nose there were not too many objects I could see or focus on. I was able to pass this portion of my test with the snorkel and at depth, but I am sloooooow.

the bouyancy issue is something that all new divers go through whatever their circumstances.
i would be tempted to give the ankle weights a miss for a while -you may find that as you dive more you will find a better decent attitude.
weighting is critical(and its placement) but if you cant find a solution with your current bcd you may want to have a go with a wing that allows control over where the air is and as a result how your body is positioned.

A wing? What is that? We have played around with weighting, and got it great in the pool, but are still playing around with the differences at different depths. I wish more people were around here too! Our scuba community is very fun, but small.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 09:50 AM ----------

If you're looking for other resources one is the: Handicap Scuba Association

How are you weighting now? Weightbelt or an integrated BC with weights in pockets? If you are diving integrated, try redistributing your weight. Some divers will even add 1-2 lbs. near the top of their tank to trim out better. Although that may not help your particular problem.

I have checked out HCA, but plan to spend more time there. I did not find much that addressed my issues, but maybe I did not try hard enough!

As for weighting, I have (or am renting a BCD with integrated weights). I think I have a good idea how to distribute weights at the surface, and again at depth. I just wish that it were the same way. Oh well...

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 09:52 AM ----------

just another thought-.

your wetsuit will be very bouyant at the surface so your legs will float and your weights will make you head down.

as you decend the wetsuit will compress and your legs will sink but your bcd will compensate in your upper body making you more head up.

maybe try a thin wetsuit or a shorty?

2p

Exactly, but I am diving in cold water (55 degrees!). I was tempted to go dry....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom