New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Infantry_169

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

My name is Michael Cantley. I was recently certified a PADI Open water diver. At the moment I have a grand total of 7 dives. I am now currently enrolled in the Advanced Open water course.

I welcome any advice on equipment, lessons learned etc. I hope to go to Honduras in February to do some diving there.
:popcorn:

Welcome, Michael! I'd highly recommend spending some time perusing the Equipment subforums, and also the Near Misses and Lessons Learned forum. I got a ton of good information from doing that, when I first found this board. I'd also, as you read, identify some posters whose information is high quality, and go chase their posts -- Walter has some fantastic stuff on mask skills; DA Aquamaster has some priceless stuff on equipment. Diver0001 has some excellent stuff on task loading, and look up anything Uncle Pug ever wrote here. Lots of good information, and you will find your own "virtual mentors" as you spend time on the board.

Hi Michael.

As is pretty much always the case, Lynn (TSandM) is right on.

As a kid, familly had a "bungalow" near Smithtown. Spent many a summer on the Sound. I am happy to help.

I am from Queens and went to HS in Valley Stream.

Last edited:
Michael Cantley,
Welcome to Scubaboard. Congratulations on the recent completion in your Open Water course and continued education in your advanced course! Keep reading as much as you can, talk to as many divers as you can and get into the water as much as possible.

I have to keep checking this board. I did a dive on the Lizzie D the other day and I kept having problems with the stupid weight belt trying to fall off. But I enjoyed it, visibility sucked, but even so it was magical for me. It was my first 'deep' dive.

To the extent possible rent and try lots of different types of gear and set ups.
Easiest way to see what is best for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom