new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freediving is the way to go with spearing.... I do both, SCUBA and freedive but I would rather freedive when it comes down to it.

You have to consider a few things.... Your dive environment, what you plan on shooting, what kind of viz you usually have. I have 3 different "euro" style spearguns I use, depending on conditions and visibility.

For you to start, I would reccomend finding out what guns divers in your area usually use and go from there. I cant speak for CA divers because I have never spearfished in california waters.

If it did come down to it, I would reccomend starting with a MAKO predator pro railgun, best bang for your buck and a good gun to start with.

Hate to do it but I have to shoot down that JBL.... Some of their wood guns are nice, but you can get a better gun for a decent price with all the different options on the market.

I did some reading and notice that alot of divers out your way use AB biller guns for halibut guns as they have a heavy shaft and good punch, but lack in the range department.

If you are looking for range and power, I would consider looking into the Riffe Euro wood guns. Very nicely built, I have one in cozumel that I use for barracuda, mahi, and grouper. I use the 90x.

Cressisub geronimo guns are also very nicely built, I havent had the opportunity to shoot one yet but checked one out the other day at my local shop.

Other guns I would recommend looking into -

OMER, Sporasub (their instinct pro is a nasty gun, I have one and love it) Mako, Aimrite, Rob Allen. Euro/railguns are easy to load, easy to swing on a fish and extremely accurate, and you wont be blowing a hole through a fish like you would with an AB Biller ( I had a 32, every fish I shot had a giant hole in it) I still own a 48 that I use as a reef gun in cozumel for poking in holes.

Best to hook-up with locals in your area. Check out the SoCal section on this board for SCUBA and the California section on SpearBoard if freediving.

Check out Mako Spearguns for a railgun. WSB requires a long gun. Ever seen a WSB? Might start with a gun for California ground fish, then later get a longer gun for WSB.

Seems a lot of Cali guys use 50-55 inch guns. Good for WSBs it seems but also will work on bottom fish. Use less bands for close hunting bottom.
I figure the bigger the better. More range and power.
As to which brand? Ask 20 spearos from there and you'll get 12 different answers.
But as cmburch said, WSBs are big and most guys agree that you need some power to take them.

You may be able to become proficient spearfishing on scuba faster than free-diving, but both require the proper training.

As to which gun to buy, the best advice I can give is to buy something used and inexpensive. The first gun you buy will not be your last if you stay interested in spearfishing, and you will have a much better idea of what you personally want in a gun after get some experience. I bought an AB Biller 48 as my first gun, and it has served that purpose well. Based on what I learned I have now ordered a bigger custom-built gun with an enclosed track. You should be able to pick up a used Biller on eBay for around $120.

I've used a Mares pneumatic (not bad as a first gun), some of the the Biller models (they are nice) and I now use a Riffe Standard # 2. It's a good all around gun for starting, and has room to move into. It loads nice, shoots straight and the simplicity of the trigger is good. The folks at Riffe are really good to talk to. Riffe International. Remember a good stringer, and a good stilleto knife to dispatch your catch too.

I spent a few years using a pole spear before hunting with guns. You could consider this route, since it's less expensive to start, but you need to be close.

Good luck in your decision, and Good Hunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom