New to Halcyon 18 watt lights... some info and pointers, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Sold my overrated Sartek 10w. Sold what was left of my shipwrecked 10W Helios. Insurance got me an 18w (new, with new cord, gland, strain relief - green battery, new 3-light style charger) and I picked up another 18w (gently used, new cord, old style gland, no strain relief - white battery, old in-line style single light charger) for my buddy / wifie light.

The new one has the EKPP-like reflector. The older one has the #3. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I abruptly contacted Sando and I have an EKPP on the way - so if anyone wants a #3 (sans Handle) PM me with an offer.

OK - some things:

* WOW. Nobody prepared me for what a difference (size, brightness, etc) the 18 is over the 10. Before you Sandroff light saber guys jump in, I'm sure your 21w rules the pool. Let me stay giddy in my brightness for a little bit longer, please :10:

* Its a simple design. I had no idea from the pics how big and how simple the whole slug assembly is. And the reflector is a no brainer too. Kinda cool.

* No matter how much I dry out the test tube, and wipe down the body, there is always some condensation in the tube. When I look, I see that the three Orings are doing their job - no water IN the tube... but some condensation. Is this normal? Should I be worred or concerned?

* The gently used older light seems to run wetter than the newer one. Sometimes there is a bead of water that has made it past Oring #1. The Test tube is easier to put on and remove from this light, too... makes sense, as the Orings are doubtless older. Can I buy standard Orings for this, or are these some special, proprietary Halcyon Oring? If standard, do any of you MacGyvers have the number / size? It makes too much sense to use, you know, DIN Orings for this design....

* Did a run on the lights last night - they were getting flakey over this weekend's dive trip (only lasted 2 dives...) so I charged them overnight, and ran them for an hour at a time, then off for an hour, then on again... sort of simulating a dive situation (as close as I can, you know, in a bucket...) I got about 3:40 from the "old" light, and 4:02 from the "new." I think I may have had a short charge or something... cuz they both burned bright and long today.

* Should I need to replace the bulb, how do I get it out? Does it pull out, twist out, or what? Before I start mauling the thing, I'd like to know more.

That's really it for now. Thanks all.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom