New to Philippines diving- recommendations for Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

We are looking at the Infiniti liveaboard over Christmas week that goes out to Moalboal, Pescador, Sumilon, Apo Island, Balicasag, and Cabilao which is 7 days/6 nights/18 dives. It's 40% off right now which brings the price to $1439pp. From what I've read so far I understand generally only Tubbataha really *needs* a liveaboard, and everything else can be done land-based for cheaper, but curious how much time we would need to add for travel to cover the same places if doing via land ourselves? We have limited vacation time and also want to add a few days at the end to see the whale sharks- from what I read it seems I should avoid Oslob, and go to Leyte or Dorsol?

Also welcome if there are other suggestions for better Philippines destinations (but no Malaspascua as we'll likely go there in July). We like to see big stuff/large schools of fish and don't like muck or wreck dives as much. The other option we're considering is a 8D/7N liveaboard to the Maldives but air tickets are way more expensive and not as convenient. We're based in HK now and have a 3hr direct flight to Cebu for $200-300 which is why we want to explore this area first. The only concern we have for Philippines over Christmas week tho is it seems to be at the tail end of typhoon season?

Would love to hear first hand accounts if anyone's been on this boat!

Thanks!

I have stopped going to Philippines over Christmas period for many yrs. The whole country is on the move and traffic is horrendous.
!It will take a lot longer to cover all those places by public transport and even worst over Big holiday.
If time is your main concern then I would suggest you join the safari and go to Oslob at the end of the trip.
Alternatively, go to Southern Leyte and avoid the madness of Christmas.
If you are worried about typhoon then I would suggest LoB in Similan.

No way you could cover all those places by independent travel in the time frame. But staying put in South Leyte is an attractive alternative.
Nopity nope nope to Donsol over New Year. Rather early for whale sharks (granted I did get lucky in the second week of January one year) and the prospect of transiting through Manila in that crazy travel period is just a non-starter.
Cannot comment on that particular liveaboard but I see they are offering the same discounted price for many other weeks as well—are you dead set on Christmas week?

Yes only option is going during xmas or New Years week so we only use 3-4 vacation days instead for 5. This will be our 6th trip of the year so we only have 4 left. The easy cheap access to everywhere in SE Asia from Hong Kong is dangerous haha. We used to do only 2 trips a year when based in the US.

It sounds like land-based is out of the question which is fine since we like liveaboard diving much better. But this helps me justifies the price differential

Do you think there is enough time to do the liveaboard which returns at 5am on a Friday, go to South Leyte or Oslob to catch the whale sharks Sat/Sun, and transit back to Cebu and take a morning flight back on Mon? Or do you lose a day transiting from Cebu each way? We have tried 3x now to catch the whale sharks with no luck and really want to see one.

We did a liveaboard to the Similians over xmas week this past year actually, and really loved the experience.

Oslob is only couple of hrs by car from Cebu City while Southern Leyte takes a lot lot longer.

Book your flights and resorts ASAP. Christmas is very hard travel in Philippines.
South Leyte is great diving and far away from the crowds. The ferry from Cebu is about 3 hours. Plus a car ride to the resorts. The ferries changes since I've been there. Peter's dive resort was very good. Night dive under the Burgos Pier is highly recommended, lots of critters.
Weekends in Oslob are very busy, and especially Christmas. Wale shark viewing was done from 7am to noon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom