New to Portland Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i lived in portland for a while and found most of the diving in fresh water a good dive is the warshougal river near camas washington there is a section that looks like it might have been quarried it is about 30ft deep and crystal clear there is a water fall at one end and when the river is low salmon get stuck at the water fall and cant get past until the river comes up again so you are able to swim amongst them. no fishing is allowed in that area. another good spot is also in washington near vancouver a lake called battle ground more like a very larg pond it is spring fed and usually has good vis i soloed i both of these spots all the time. for serious diving about two hours away is the puget sound and hood canal or even further up is the san juan islands all very cold but excellent diving

Most all the divers I know go up to the Puget Sound for most of their "local" diving. It is about a 5 hour drive to British Columbia and the diving there is memorable. If it weren't for drysuit diving, I wouldn't be able to do any local diving.

Hi Nivla80,

I am in Portland. There are a few shore dives in Oregon, but most people do head up to Puget Sound.

Many dive with a 7mil wetsuit and are comfortable. It gets a little more difficult in the winter when everything gets colder. If you can swing it, the drysuit is the best way to go.

There are several good dive shop in Portland and Vancouver. Depending on where you stay in Portland, just check out a few and see where you are comfortable. I like Underwater Works in Tigard and Steve's Scuba in Milwaukie.

There are also some good clubs. I belong to Club Paradise. oregonscuba.com They do monthly club dives.

Let me know when you get here and I can show you somme dive sites.

SteveB

The water temps in the ocean around here is pretty consistant at around 50 degrees. The surface temp can be higher or lower depending on the season but below 15' it is generally around 50. Most people use either a 2 piece 7mm wet suit or a dry suit. There are some river and lake dives in the area and some shore diving around Tillamook Bay and Newport but as was said earlier, most people head up to Hood Canal or the Puget Sound between Tacoma and north of Seattle. Drop me a line and I can give you more info.

Where in the Portland area do you live?

If you live in Beaverton there are two shops on that side of town, Pacific Water Sports on 170th and TV Highway and Under Water Works on Main Street in Tigard. Both are good shops. I am partial to Under Water Works but that is because I'm a Divemaster there:)

My wife and I just returned from Astoria and Newport, OR. What a wonderful place. Does anyone dive the wrecks around Astoria? We visited the Maritime museum. The maps of ship wrecks really were calling me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom