New to SCUBA and I have a problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ride-Orange

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've snorkeled a bunch and decided after an intro dive off Kauai to get certified. Came home to San Diego and signed-up at Sport Chalet. Did pool work last weekend and at the end of Day 1, discovered that I have a severe allergic reaction to my new Aqua Lung "Flex" (fortunately they'll take it back). My next thought was dry Suit, but I just got the call from my dermatologist that the blood test show I'm also allergic to Latex!!!:shocked2:

NOW WHAT? Again, I'm in San Diego and would prefer not to opt for tropical waters only. Does anybody make a Lycra or pure nylon exposure suit?

HELP!:popcorn:

You can try silicone or other cremes to create a barrier on your epidermis while in a dry suit. You can also use a dry glove system if the rash is only on your wrists. I had a friend in Alaska who developed a similar reaction he switched to neo seals. That doesnt sound like an option for you though :(

You may also want to call DUI there in SD, they are the leaders in Dry suits, if anyone knows of a hypo allergenic seal it would be them. Good luck friend!

Thanks for the feedback. I was wearing a nylon rash guard and swim trunks under the wetsuit when this happened. I was extra careful to make sure thart the cuffs of the long sleeve top were isolating my wrists from the neoprene, but to no avail. This stuff actually broke-out in areas that had no direct contact with the neoprene, like my thumbs and upper lip.

I did call DUI yesterday (right after posting) and talked with Jackie. She advised that one of their clients with and extreme sensativity actually applies Saran Wrap to her neck, wrists, and ankles prior to donning the dry suit.

I plan to conduct some testing in this area tomorrow morning

Good luck with finding a way to keep diving. I'm glad you enjoyed your time on Kauai and decided to get certified. Keep us posted on your testing! Knowledge is Power!

I've snorkeled a bunch and decided after an intro dive off Kauai to get certified. Came home to San Diego and signed-up at Sport Chalet. Did pool work last weekend and at the end of Day 1, discovered that I have a severe allergic reaction to my new Aqua Lung "Flex" (fortunately they'll take it back). My next thought was dry Suit, but I just got the call from my dermatologist that the blood test show I'm also allergic to Latex!!!:shocked2:

NOW WHAT? Again, I'm in San Diego and would prefer not to opt for tropical waters only. Does anybody make a Lycra or pure nylon exposure suit?

HELP!:popcorn:

Usually, the only part of a drysuit that is latex is the wrist & neck seals, which most mfg's make in both neoprene and latex. So opt for the former & there shouldn't be a problem, as you will also be wearing clothing of some sort under the drysuit.

Thanks for the feedback. I was wearing a nylon rash guard and swim trunks under the wetsuit when this happened. I was extra careful to make sure thart the cuffs of the long sleeve top were isolating my wrists from the neoprene, but to no avail. This stuff actually broke-out in areas that had no direct contact with the neoprene, like my thumbs and upper lip.

I did call DUI yesterday (right after posting) and talked with Jackie. She advised that one of their clients with and extreme sensativity actually applies Saran Wrap to her neck, wrists, and ankles prior to donning the dry suit.

I plan to conduct some testing in this area tomorrow morning

This is an interesting, and simple remedy. I'll be curious to see how it works. My only word of caution would be to apply the plastic wrap quite loosely to avoid triggering a carotid sinus reflex. A carotid sinus reflex in divers is usually caused by a tight neck seal on an exposure suit. The carotid sinus, located in the terminus of the carotid artery, controls, among other things, heartbeat and blood pressure. Wearing an exposure suit with too tight a neck seal can trigger the reflex, which can then cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure. You can experience this effect by manually pressing on the sinuses with your thumbs.

I hope this simple and inexpensive solution works for you. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. You'll be in the water in no time, enjoying all the wonders our oceans and fresh water sources have to offer!

Use caution. no matter what you try, if you notice any facial swelling or trouble breathing or change in the sound of your voice get anything with latex off you immediately. Sometimes a latex sensitivity can become a more severe anaphylactic reaction.

use caution with any wetsuit "fix"--latex material may not be in direct contact with your skin (wearing a lycra skin) but the molecules in the water may find a way to make contact & an allergic reaction.

Michael @ DUI hooked me up with a loaner from the demo truck (for a nominal rental fee). Had orientation in the pool Saturday and hit the beach yesterday with no reaction to the latex seals. Finishing this morning and boy am I happy!

Thanks for all your sound advice. Looks like you'll have me to kick around for a while afterall...

Back
Top Bottom