New to sport and need a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AS other posters have said, there really isn't any problem diving back inflate BCDs. You will end up floating differently on the surface, and may decide to surface swim on your back. Shouldn't be a problem.

As to the BCD in your original post, it looks fine. I agree with MSilvia that I personally would go with something more minimalist, but that should do you fine.

river_sand_bar:
Dave,
HOWEVER.. make sure you REALLY want a back inflate B/C. They can be a little strange when on the surface for a swim as it will push you face down. I have a back inflate B/C and when I am on a swim out, I have to lay pretty flat on my back.

Might be best to try a back inflate B/C out first... as there is also issues with the weight distribution to counter balance the back bladder.

I also dive a back inflate (Seaquest Balance) and I tend to surface swim with my head in the water anyway with the ocassional peak at the surface for boat traffic, etc. Unless I'm just floating, in which case, I lay on my back. Besides, most of your time will not be spent on the surface:D!

The BC you're looking at seems fine, although it has too much padding for my preference. You may be able to find used BC's you may have already tried for a little less if price is the issue.

My only other concern would be fit. How do you know if you'd like the fit of this particular BC? Check the return/exchange policy just in case.

Good luck.

My recommendation is to not buy anything yet. Rent SEVERAL different models/types to find out what works for you. And what fits you best. Believe it or not manufacturers sizes are not the same. You may try one in a large that fits and works great then try another in a large that swallows you or is just too small. If you try several diff. brands/styles first you will know for sure what you want then you can go spend your hard earned money.

I perfer my Areis Atmos xt its about the same price and its a hybrid it gives you the level swim of back inflate but holds you upright at the surface with little of the hug affect of jacket BC's I ordered it from Divers-supply :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom