new to video - what to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkelo

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I have been diving for several years, and have lately been taking digital still photos on a simple olympus camera. I have now opened my eyes for videography, and was wondering where and what to buy? I am looking for a cheap versatile set-up. What should i get (both camera and housing). I will be using it mostly in warm, clear water, but also on land.
Anywhere you can be such se-ups cheap over the net?

Best regards
Mikkel Olesen

Unless you want to jumpstart the economy, my advice is to start with a housing like Backscatter's Top Dawg (made by Light & Motion). It is reasonably priced, but more important it is flexible in terms of what camcorders it will work with- most Sony TR and TRV's as well as the newer Canons.

If you buy a dedicated housing, you may be stuck with it once that specific camera is no longer available.

What you get will depend on your intended audience. I still shoot single-CCD mini-DV using a Sony TRV-17. I'd like to upgrade to the PD-150 or PD-170 and eventually to high def but those options are costly.

Figure in the price of video lights if you want to take close-ups unless you are mainly diving the clear tropics. You can get by without them initially. You might even consider a UK Light Cannon as a light- I've seen some good results using one.

Hi Drbill,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I have looked at the topdawg, but there isn´t a chance of watching the lcd monitor, unless you buy it addtionally, and it´s the same price as the camera (almost)!
Any other suggestions, to ones where you can see the monitor while filming?
Last question - where can you get it cheap over the net?
BEst regards
Mikkel Olesen

If you want cheap, you might want to consider used to start out with. I've seen a top dog with the monitor for just above 1k....which was damn good and if I hadn't already purchased my setup recently, I would have jumped all over it....

Anyway, one thing to also consider when getting a camera/housing. If you get a dedicated housing(which, yes will lock you with the cam that you have) know that it will also usually give you more options that the generic model won't be able to give you. They are dedicated housings for a reason. :) But in any case, have a budget and stick with it, but try to get the best that you can. The nice thing about generic housings is that you can get a cheapy model cam and a decent housing, then upgrade the cam when you can.

have a plan though, test the waters as it were, see if you like doing the uw filming and if you do, plan on a dedicated system...

My original system was a hi8 in a amphibico dive buddy, which I adapted a trv 510 to the housing(not without issues). My new system is a 3 chip panasonic pv GS-400. housing will be in on monday...can't wait! :)
I loved doing this so much which is why I bought the dedicated setup.

External monitors are nice, but they come at a price(very large price). If price is a concern, maybe you should just stick with the viewfinder option untill the funds become available. I've seen good stuff with people who just do point and pray...

Housing are one of those things that go at a premium and not much you can do about that...unless you know someone who works at one of the housing manufacturers. other than that, go used.

Good Luck!!!

-Mark

I don't use the monitor back and have very little trouble seeing my viewfinder through the rear port.

As for getting them cheap, I bought my first one on E-Bay (there were two for sale there yesterday). The backup one I bought at full retail price from Helix in Chicago.

I too have been looking at getting started and some days my head is spinning from all the info that is out there.
Most will say to go with a mini-dv system, NOT a DVD, and a non-dedicated housing. Also keep in mind that if you want to go with the electronic controls then your camera will have to have a LANC connection.
I think when I buy I will be buying the housing that Bill suggested (Top Dawg) with the monitor on the back..can you hear my wallet scream?

Here is a decent web site for video...DV forum

I think my next step is going to be buying a video mag and go from there.

I would definitly go with miniDV, there really is no reason to go with the small DVD recorders other than using those disks for small edited movies afterwards. They only hold 30 mins and store video in compressed format...not worth the loss of quality or lousy recording times.

As for housings, check out the other light and motion(switchable lens, lanc)housings, they make the topdog series...amphibico(lanc control and wide angle lens) and also ocean images(what I'm getting for the gs400 that includes manual and electronic controls).

Good luck!!

-Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom