New tourist tax structure in effect 7-1-22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is how the original read
Yes, i read the original proposal, and what was passed recently. Isn't it possible they rethought it and passed what they feel is a better plan?

You would think but the politics are in play on this additional money. The excuse/rationale being heard for the 50% increase in tourism tax, is that Bonaire is almost to pre-covid numbers and everyone is willing to pay the cost of covid testing to come to the island so they will be the additional nad we can charge every time they come to the island. The real issue is they are not earmarking the funds to actually improve anything and even those who voted for the increase are now saying they did not understand it including removing the one-time-only charge to make it on every entry and now the two parties are pointing fingers at the other MPB & UPB. To most who only go once a year, this is not an issue if you are on a local islands and come to see friends is will get to be very costly because you stayed with friends and did not have to pay a room tax or car tax so you are going from zero to $75.00 each visit.

You would think but the politics are in play on this additional money. The excuse/rationale being heard for the 50% increase in tourism tax, is that Bonaire is almost to pre-covid numbers and everyone is willing to pay the cost of covid testing to come to the island so they will be the additional nad we can charge every time they come to the island. The real issue is they are not earmarking the funds to actually improve anything and even those who voted for the increase are now saying they did not understand it including removing the one-time-only charge to make it on every entry and now the two parties are pointing fingers at the other MPB & UPB. To most who only go once a year, this is not an issue if you are on a local islands and come to see friends is will get to be very costly because you stayed with friends and did not have to pay a room tax or car tax so you are going from zero to $75.00 each visit.
At $75 per visit it amortized in about 10 days if you were renting a room and a car. So a two week trip will be cheaper for me. I agree, cost for tourists is not the issue. The lack of transparency about the use of the funds is a BIG issue, but my guess is they will find a way to give a waiver to visitors from other islands.

At $75 per visit it amortized in about 10 days if you were renting a room and a car. So a two week trip will be cheaper for me. I agree, cost for tourists is not the issue. The lack of transparency about the use of the funds is a BIG issue, but my guess is they will find a way to give a waiver to visitors from other islands.
I always go for 2 weeks. I stay at Den Laman, Sunwise has already emailed me and will adjust our charge for our August trip. OK by me. Get your marine park permit ahead of time, pay your tourist tax too.

I always go for 2 weeks. I stay at Den Laman, Sunwise has already emailed me and will adjust our charge for our August trip. OK by me. Get your marine park permit ahead of time, pay your tourist tax too.
It would be the right thing and I sure hope they pick up the pace fixing the roads it is badly needed and already causing serious accidents. We'll know more on Thursday supposed to be an update and hopefully, it fixes some issues.

It would be the right thing and I sure hope they pick up the pace fixing the roads it is badly needed and already causing serious accidents. We'll know more on Thursday supposed to be an update and hopefully, it fixes some issues.
+1 on the roads, dismal when we visited in Oct-Nov of last year. However, they were working on a couple.

Sometimes real world market realities cause issues a strict, robotic viewpoint might not anticipate.

The linked article indicates the tourist tax can be paid online in advance or collected on arrival. In theory, this will roughly replace the nightly tax perviously collected from accommodation providers, who in theory will reduce their nightly charge or package rate by the amount of that tax.

In theory. Some providers have been including the tax in their advertised rate. Now, if I were of a cynical mindset (and I am), I might wonder if some accommodation providers will leave their current rates 'as is,' given the customer base has been agreeable to paying that, especially of the 'new' tax is collected by somebody else before hand? A stealth price increase.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sometimes real world market realities cause issues a strict, robotic viewpoint might not anticipate.

The linked article indicates the tourist tax can be paid online in advance or collected on arrival. In theory, this will roughly replace the nightly tax perviously collected from accommodation providers, who in theory will reduce their nightly charge or package rate by the amount of that tax.

In theory. Some providers have been including the tax in their advertised rate. Now, if I were of a cynical mindset (and I am), I might wonder if some accommodation providers will leave their current rates 'as is,' given the customer base has been agreeable to paying that, especially of the 'new' tax is collected by somebody else before hand? A stealth price increase.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
See New tourist tax structure in effect 7-1-22

Booked a VRBO condo and Avis truck rental several months back for July 9 - 24. Was charged the old tax rates of $4 per day auto rental and $5.50 per person per day accommodation/hotel taxes.

Both companies have since updated their online booking software to remove the per day taxes when booking in July.

The Avis rental had a no cancelation fee clause and the rates were same, so I simply canceled and rebooked. For the condo, I called VRBO customer service who had to open a request w/ billing which is still underway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom