New truck canopy...looking for ideas to make dive friendly.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put in a Spa. Make the back water tight, and fill it with hot water

huskychemist:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I hadn't thought of running the battery back to the canopy for power.

Call me naive, but I can't seem to picture "ratcheting straps." As soon as I see one, I'm sure I'll do the palm-to-forehead slap of realization...can somebody help me out here with that one...

Somebody on Northwest Diver recommended a tank-rack like the one in the link here:

http://shop.divebooty.com/3333.html

Not necessarily recommending the seller...just using this as an example. The rack flips up when it doesn't have tanks in it...takes up less space that way. Just a thought.

Thanks.

All of our boats out here use 4 to-a-side racks like these to hold tanks. They work great and take a ton of use and keep on working. You may be able to find them at West Marine or your local boat seller.

First time upoading a picture so hope it turns out. Anyway have the full sliding 4x8 foot bed and the other side opens as well.

Modifications to include extendable drying racks and the sliding bed will have a cage at the end for securing gear and/more tanks. Side door carries dive flags, tanks, seating for four and extra weight. on the other side I carry camping gear and a propane BBQ plus tools, rope, chain etc.

The shocks on the side doors are just shy of holding up a drysuit on a hanger.

I get carried away so there is a 1972 22 foot trailer getting reno'd for some longer diving trips. The pull out bed is rated for 1700 pounds fully extended so it should take alot of gear. Could possibly add a fold out bench for change up/ tank support?

Hope the picture works.....

Can't really see the picture very well but if your shocks are like the ones on my shell then I have a trick to make the door stay propped open with weight. Take some 1" PVC pipe and cut a slit down the side of it the width of the inner shaft. Cut these to a length so you can place them on the shaft of the shock and apply weight to the door.

Canopy stuff-

Get serious on lockdown, I thought my canopy was secure just had standard locks. that was untill some one pried opened the side slider and crawled in, must of been a really small dude, then they used my tools to take apart or cut the locks and steal about $5000 woth of tools. Kind of ironic because I was on a dive trip to BC when it happened.

As far as mods are concerned the best thing I did was mount two tractor lights to the canopy, makes it a breaze to gear up on those night dives and of course backing up. It cost me about $20 bucks total, I ran power to a toggle switch in the cab, its pretty cool. With the lower power tractor lights I can leave the lights on for about an hour with out running the engine.

I added leaf springs to the rear end to give it a little extra umph, cost $70 and took about on hour to install

Also the stupidest and cheapest tank rack that I've seen that works like a dream is just a fat rope off a ship tied in knots every foot or so, works like a dream

Good luck

JUMBO

It's been a while since I've visited the thread...

Thanks to all the recent ideas you posted. Great stuff! I haven't had time to work on the canopy stuff yet, but our trip isn't until July, so I've got a little time.

Thanks again to all of you.

Truck caps... bahhh! Get a box van!! far more practical, if a little less chic! :p
and you can do away with the awning!

I thought of an idea.. if you made a scisor jack arangement for the side mounts of the cap, and made some canvas sides that fold in, you could have a pop up truck cap with standing room for changing and gearing up...

how about some tank steady's cups on the tailgate to hold the tanks steady when you're gearing up ?

On the note of hanging your drysuit on the side doors, you can purchase stronger gas shocks from a lot of aviation supply shops. These guys are really helpful, but be warned - if you order a catalog it's about 1,000 pages. They have some pretty high rated ones, as they're made for opening cockpit canopies, so if you look around online hard enough, you can probably find one that would hold YOU up :wink:.

If you run an inverter and/or lights to the back, I strongly suggest getting something like this. There are endless numbers of them available on the market, I jsut couldn't think of the names or where to get them at the moment heh. Basically, it'll keep your battery from getting drained to the point where the vehicle won't start. If the battery gets too low it shuts off all together and won't turn on until you start the vehicle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom