New Video Housing- Seatool HC3 DX for Sony DCR-HC3 1080i HDV Camcorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan

Contributor
Reaction score
I was able to get some Seatool HC3 products shots done today, and thought I'd post them here too.

_6271631.jpg

The Seatool HC3 is a combination of electronic and mechanical control that fits the HC3 Camera like a glove. To keep size down and installation simple, no camera tray is utilized, and the camera drops in place. Rather than encase the large LCD screen, a mirror is utilized keeping the size of the housing and its buoyancy down.

The housing's center section is made of aluminum to provides strength, and the front and rear sections are abs plastic keeping overall weight and negative buoyancy to a minimu. A tray and second handle can be added for more flexibility in mounting lights.

Several accessories are available or planned. A few housings for the camera's remote monitor are available, making this an excellent remote or polecam tool. The remote is connected to the housing via an optical cable. A bracket for attaching Light & Motion's Mini Pro Lighting system is being built, as well as a 3.5" monitor.

The housing's full features are available at this link
http://www.fisheye-jp.com/english/st_hc3/st_hc3.html. From the grip Record, Mode, Zoom (variable speed), Still Photo, AF On/Off, and Flash On/Off are accessed.

The DX Version, which is all we plan to import at the moment, features a flip filter, Inon Bayonet Lens Mount, and Access to the camera's manual adjustments.

Here is the housing w/ an Inon UWL-100 28 AD attached. W/ this 100 deg wa lens attached, there is no vignetting in the underscan area!

_6271635_1.jpg

The Fix Light HG-20dx 20w Halogen should be a popular light for this small housing, keeping overall size and weight down.

_6271641_1.jpg

_6271646_1.jpg

The housing features excellent build quality, ultra-compact size, and great ergonomics.

_6271662_1.jpg

_6271663_1.jpg

_6271668_1.jpg

The handle can be rotated paralell w/ the housing for easy packing, and macro video on the sea floor.

I'm looking for an hc3 housing with electronic controls. this housing looks great but the buttons look really close together.
where can i find a retail store near NJ that has several housings on display for the hc3? i tried a large local retailer, B & H in NY but they don't have any housings on displays, just the video cameras.
any info on retailer with housings on display would be appreciated.

There are only a few places in the country that stock this stuff. We are in Fort Lauderdale, and will have Light & Motion's Bluefin as well when it starts shipping. I don't know of any specialized retailers in Jersey.

These buttons are close together, but they have different heights, which doesn't make it a problem in use for me. As always, your mileage may vary.

This is definitely the smallest HC3 housing. Light & Motion's is the most full featured, accesssing the camera's touch screen, and their pushbuttons are spaced out better. Those guys dive in the frigid waters of Monterey, so gloves are the norm. I put a couple of pictures of the LMI housing on wetpixel here-

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14038

Looks interesting but I don't like having the light mounted directly above the lens. Are there arms that would put it at the side to avoid backscatter?

Pricing?

Arms can be mounted on top of the housing's handle. A tray and second handle can also be added for 2 lights.

I'm not sure if pricing is allowed here, if the info below gets deleted the prices are on our web site-

The DX Version of the housing (shown above), which is all I plan to import for the time being, is $2399. A simple version without the flip filter, bayonet mount, and manual controls is $1899.

What's the oval window on the bottom of the back for? Leak detection?

With the second handle attached, can you still open the mirror?
Is the ball joint stiff enough that the mirror will stay open while swimming in current?

Old thread but does anyone know how to remove the rotating handle on the Seatool for maintenance purposes? There are o-rings in there but I can't figure out how the handle releases from body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom