New Video Housing- Seatool HC3 DX for Sony DCR-HC3 1080i HDV Camcorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old thread but does anyone know how to remove the rotating handle on the Seatool for maintenance purposes? There are o-rings in there but I can't figure out how the handle releases from body.

I'd like to know this one, too. Those O-rings you speak of is where mine started to leak a couple years ago. Sent it back to Reef Photo and they fixed everything, but "behind the handle". Had to send it back again. $60 just for shipping and another $110 for the "yearly" check and repair.

I'm no klutz when it comes to fixing things. Just need to know how to get the handle off. I do know it attaches to a hollow threaded rod that goes through the housing. I imagine there is a nut behind the cover on the handle itself. Just have to figure out how to get that little cover off. After that I think any yoyo could figure out the rest.

Oh, mine's the HC7 so there might be a slight difference, but I don't think so.

The cover on the outside of the handle on the HC3 has two small screws and then can be removed with a small hook or pry tool. It has a o-ring the size of the cover. Problem is there is no visible nut on the either side of the shaft that passes into camera body. Seatool secret, wish I could find a repair manual or "exploded" diagram of housing.

The cover on the outside of the handle on the HC3 has two small screws and then can be removed with a small hook or pry tool. It has a o-ring the size of the cover. Problem is there is no visible nut on the either side of the shaft that passes into camera body. Seatool secret, wish I could find a repair manual or "exploded" diagram of housing.

OK, so you dsy there id no vidible nut. I assume you are saying you can't see one even with the cover removed from the handle. That kind of baffles me as my handle actually got a little loose when I was in the Philippines two years ago. The housing started to leak and so I took it in the pool. Looking in the side where the mirror snaps shut I could visibly see water running down the lanc cords where they passed through that hollow threaded rod. I just assumed that there had to be a nut to hold the handle tight, and of course there has to be at least one O-ring between the handle and the housing. I have asneaking suspicion that salt water gets into that O-ring and dries, leaving the salt behind. Then when the handle is rotated it acts as an abrasive and cuts the O-ring. Think I'm on the right track?

Just like you I'd like to see a repair manual or exploded parts manual. Being as mine's out of warranty I'm not beyond tearing it apart and finding out what this thing is about. It can't be rocket science. And I can get O-rings. I can't see sending this thing from Pa. to Ft, Lauderdale every year and laying out about $150 for an annual inspection and a change of O-rings. Especially since the one between the housing and the handle is one that wasn't changed---and that's where the problem was.

I like the size and weight of this housing, especially when considering carrying it on airlines these days, but I have a feeling my next one is going to be an L&M Stingray Plus. More versatility plus the external monitor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom