New Wetsuit!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to save the dry for later when I have more experience.

Ayisha:
Henderson has an excellent reputation and is very well made, and you will pay for that. I also wanted a Henderson Hyperstretch, but I chose the suit that fit me like a glove, AND is well made.

Ayisha summed it up perfectly in a nutshell. That's part of the reason why I chose Akona for my 7mm. I paid over $200 apiece for my 3mm and 5mm Hendersons. It was much more cost-efficient to go with the Akona for the 7 (especially since my LDS owner gave me an excellent deal on it).

dlndavid:
I was looking at the price difference between Akona and Henderson 7mil one piece.
$150 for the Akona and $300 for the Henderson. Is there such a big difference that the Akona is half the price. I don't dive that much but would like to do some Monterey dives and will need to get a 7 mil. Any more comments appreciated.
Thanks
David

I have the Akona 3 and 7 mil. I don't have complaints about either one. Both feel great and in the 7mil I don't feel like i can't move around comfortably when out of the water. Definitely check out the Akona suits for the price you can't beat them. Only other wetsuit I've tried is a Scubapro 5 mil and I actually like my Akonas better.

I've always struggled with wetsuits - I'm reasonably slim, fairly wide shoulders, long legs and big boobs. Even when I got made to measure it wasnt quite right.

I then decided I wanted to be a "Mares" lady as most of my gear was Mares - so I brought a Mares semi dry. Useless!

I went out intending to buy O'Neills as I used someone elses suit on holiday as mine disappeared and it fitted great - ended up trying on an IQ 3mm suit and its devine!!!!

Everyone has different shapes which is why there can be so many successful brands! Its just such a great feeling when you can actually find a suit that feels like it was made for you!!!

ScubaTexan:
I love my Henderson Hyperstretches, too (I have a 3mm and a 5mm), but Akona and Bare also make excellent wetsuits that are very similar in design and style to the Hendersons. You might check them out, as well.

I just bought a Henderson 3 mil this weekend. I've been trying on wetsuits for a week, and I hadn't found anything that even came close to being as comfortable as the Henderson.

The bottom line really is to find one that fits and feels comfortable for YOU. There isn't one wetsuit that works for everyone, and if you're comfortable in an O'Neil that costs $125, why bother with a $200+ Henderson??

In my case, my DH and I went to every dive shop in South Florida trying on wetsuits. We must have tried on 10 different brands/types, and at the end bought the Henderson 3mil Hyperstretch for $190 each. We both felt that the Henderson was the most comfortable (hands down) for us, and neither of us could see compromising by buying a cheaper suit that was "almost" as comfortable.

I tell everyone who asks me to TRY a Henderson. I'll never say it's the ONLY wetsuit that people should buy...you should always buy what works for you and is within your budget.

I went with a Tilos hyperstretch 3mm and because I bought my Tilos 7mm semi-dry one piece before hyperstretch one came out I told one of my buddies to buy the 7mm hyperstretch. We both love them and they are less than $200. I still love my 7mm semi-dry non-strech Tilos. They seem to make their wetsuits for people who don't have the Barbie figure.

SunFishSarah:
Being new to diving I assumed finding a wetsuit I like would go the way finding breeches has gone. Go custom, spend the money, shut up, be comfy, etc. etc..... I called Liquid Fit and started working on my order......

After scanning the posts on SB.com I decided to give the Henderson Hyperstrech a whirl because I want something comfy now, not in a few months.

Wouldn't ya know it my least favorite lds is a dealer, the only dealer on the whole damm island. So I ran in purchased one and was on my way out when my Dad just had to ask the salesnerd a question so my hopes of a quick escape were dashed by the man who I swear to god would talk underwater!! Now back to the suit wearing part..

Comfy, comfy, everyone was right.. No hoping, no skipping, no cussing, it just went on and fit.. Amazingly enough my absurdly long legs actually fit in the suit! I didn't feel like I was wearing neoprene highwaters. I'm not a fan of bright colors so the all black suit makes me very happy indeed. Now I just need one in every thickness because I am the overkill Princess.

I'll worry about staying warm when I get back to the other side of the Pacific next month.

Long story short, thank you to the ladies who have candidly posted what suits fit and why.

Aloha!

S

I have 2 Henderson suits, a 3mm jumpsuit and a 7mm farmer jane, both Gold Core. They fit nice (I'm a normal size), but the gold core sticks and doesn't go on easy if you are sweaty. I just recently got a Bare 3mm Velocity and I love it. It's the most comfortable wetsuit I've worn. They are reasonably priced as well.

Back
Top Bottom