New Wreck Diving Club Forming in Northern Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WRChadwell

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A new club known as The Battle of the Atlantic Study Group is kicking off in early October. The purpose of this group is to: conduct and share historical research on topics related to the maritime campaigns waged between the Allies and Axis/Central Powers during 1914-18 and 1939-45; and to conduct scuba dives on wrecks associated with these campaigns and to document their current conditions via photography and/or videography. While the primary focus of the Group will be the Atlantic maritime campaigns of the First and Second World Wars, inquiries outside these topics may be taken on as agreed to by the Group. Membership is free (no dues) and will be open to any person having an interest in the Battles of the Atlantic, be they recreational diver, technical diver, or non-diver. Meetings will be held quarterly, or as circumstances dictate.

The inaugural meeting will be held Tuesday, Oct 2, at Splash Dive Center in Alexandria, VA. Splash is located at 4154 Duke Street, roughly midway between Telegraph Road and I-395. The agenda for the initial meeting will be: discussion and adoption of the Group charter; potential research projects for the coming quarter; potential dive trips for 2013 and beyond; and time permitting, a report on and/or short video of next weekend's dives on the wreck of the U-853, or failing that, a short presentation on the breaking of the Enigma code and its impact on the Battle of the Atlantic.

Please join us if you are interested and feel free to PM me with any questions. Hope to see you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom