new wreck found in Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw this in Alaska Magazine. Feb. 2004 issue.
DIVERS FIND WRECKAGE OF SS ALEUTIAN OFF KODIAK
A group of Alaska divers is seeking salvage rights to the ship wreck of the
SS Aleutian, a passenger steam ship that sank in waters off of Kodiak Island in late 1920's.
First discovered in 2002, the find was kept under wraps until last August while the group explored legal options for salvaging the ship, which went down at 5:29 A.M. on May 26 1929, after hitting a submerged rock in Uyak Bay.
Of the 116 passengers and crew aboard, only one person, a crewman, died in the accident. Owned by the Alaska Steamship Co. the ship was 375 feet long, and 50 feet wide.
Steve Lloyd, an Anchorage diver and shipwreck historian, was one of the first divers to find the wreck. He also was part of the group that found the historic wreck of the Kadi'ak, which sunk in 1860 and is believed to be the oldest shipwreck in Alaska waters.
The Aleutian, at a depth of more than 200 feet, is just "sitting in the mud, frozen in that moment of time from 1929 when it hit the rock," Lloyd told the Anchorage Daily News. "The cargo's still in the hold. The furniture is still in the stateroom."
Lloyd is partner in a group called Shoreline Adventures LLC that, as of November, was negotiating with a British insurance firm for the salvage rights. Lloyd told the Daily News the group was interested in possibly developing the site into a "world-class diving destination.

Workd class COLDWATER dive site. I have been to Kodiak and the ocean is 100% milk...cold year round....

DFC5343:
World class COLDWATER dive site. I have been to Kodiak and the ocean is 100% milk...cold year round....

Milk? Were you diving in front of the outfall pipe at the fish processing pier? <just kidding>

Cold, yes, but Kodiak and many other parts of Alaska can have outstanding visibility, thriving marine life, and lots of historic sites & shipwrecks. Cook Inlet is essentially undivable, Kachemak Bay is pretty cloudy, but Resurrection Bay, Prince William Sound, and Kodiak and Southeast Alaska waters have great vis.

The marine ecosystem that supports prodigious salmon returns, large whale populations, etc. means there's lots of bio-mass in the water, especially in the summer months. Vis on the Aleutian wreck is normally a dark 20-30, but I've seen it 50'. On shallower wrecks you can often find 50+ even in the summer. But we don't dive Alaska wrecks for the tropical visibility, it's because we're the first ones ever on the wreck!!! How many East Coast guys get to say that?

P.S. Thanks for the kind words, Snowbear. Say "hi" next time you're at TW!

I am glad you said something about this new dive, I am currently in Anchorage, AK and I heard about this site on the radio. Do you know if anyone able to dive there yet, do you know how much longer the nagotiations will be?

I'd like to help out if they need help, it be awsome if they needed extra divers to search out the site or help salvage anything.

Well thanks for the update on the site and give me a shout if you know anything more.

DEPWorld

diverrick:
I saw this in Alaska Magazine. Feb. 2004 issue.
DIVERS FIND WRECKAGE OF SS ALEUTIAN OFF KODIAK
A group of Alaska divers is seeking salvage rights to the ship wreck of the
SS Aleutian, a passenger steam ship that sank in waters off of Kodiak Island in late 1920's.
First discovered in 2002, the find was kept under wraps until last August while the group explored legal options for salvaging the ship, which went down at 5:29 A.M. on May 26 1929, after hitting a submerged rock in Uyak Bay.
Of the 116 passengers and crew aboard, only one person, a crewman, died in the accident. Owned by the Alaska Steamship Co. the ship was 375 feet long, and 50 feet wide.
Steve Lloyd, an Anchorage diver and shipwreck historian, was one of the first divers to find the wreck. He also was part of the group that found the historic wreck of the Kadi'ak, which sunk in 1860 and is believed to be the oldest shipwreck in Alaska waters.
The Aleutian, at a depth of more than 200 feet, is just "sitting in the mud, frozen in that moment of time from 1929 when it hit the rock," Lloyd told the Anchorage Daily News. "The cargo's still in the hold. The furniture is still in the stateroom."
Lloyd is partner in a group called Shoreline Adventures LLC that, as of November, was negotiating with a British insurance firm for the salvage rights. Lloyd told the Daily News the group was interested in possibly developing the site into a "world-class diving destination.

2 words... Brrrr Rrrrr

No way Jose. My hats off to you. All yours, have fun...

I will stay here and peel my fingernails off slowly with pliers when I want that much fun! :wink:

Besides, I don't own a jacket heavier than a wind breaker.

Thanks guys for that info. I'm running out of time (and money) up here in AK but I'd really like to get a dive in before I take off. Steve thanks for the info. I'd love to dive up here and like you said get to the wrecks first.

I look forward to hearing more and learning more, thanks again everyone.

DEPWorld

P.S. Steve you and your wife own Title Wave!?! That place is awsome all my freinds go and hang out there and just read, its great, keep it up, every city should have a Tilte Wave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom