New Years in Bonaire!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't do any underwater photography, but I usually take a digital camera on the boats/shore dives/whatever to take pics of the area and a group photo of my dive group. Given that I can't take it underwater and I am supposed to leave the car unlocked, should I skip this in Bonaire? Should I just take a disposable in the car or is that likely to get pilfered too? Right now I am thinking that the smart move would be to leave all my own cameras at home and get a couple disposables.

Thanks

There is no problem taking it on the boats, I would not worry at all about the DM's or Captains. I would however take it in some sort of dry bag (big zip lock baggie) just to keep it dry. You can leave the equipment with the frount office or if it's small enough in the room safe when diving. I have a big pelican case so I just lock it inside that. I think a disposable would be safe in the truck. You can also use this trick. Make sure no one is watching and just put it under a nearby rock. Another way to protect your stuff is to dive by the Pink Dive Bus. There is a big pink dive bus that goes to a different site each day and sets up. They have lockers that you can get(rent?) and they will watch your stuff for you. They also have cold drinks and food. They have a web site but I don't have the address.
You can always go back and shoot the shore dive sites on your last day....no diving 24 hrs before flying, remember.

herman once bubbled...
There is no problem taking it on the boats, I would not worry at all about the DM's or Captains. I would however take it in some sort of dry bag (big zip lock baggie) just to keep it dry. You can leave the equipment with the frount office or if it's small enough in the room safe when diving. I have a big pelican case so I just lock it inside that. I think a disposable would be safe in the truck. You can also use this trick. Make sure no one is watching and just put it under a nearby rock. Another way to protect your stuff is to dive by the Pink Dive Bus. There is a big pink dive bus that goes to a different site each day and sets up. They have lockers that you can get(rent?) and they will watch your stuff for you. They also have cold drinks and food. They have a web site but I don't have the address.
You can always go back and shoot the shore dive sites on your last day....no diving 24 hrs before flying, remember.
...for the info and the link. We will use that as an option in case we have something of value in the car. One last question...what about a nice mesh backpack? If I bring that with me to haul my gear, will it be gone when I come up? What do you haul gear in while on Bonaire? I guess I could use a grocery bag or trash bag to get it from the room to the car instead if the bag is likely to get stolen..

A cheap mesh bags works as good as anything. they are light, cheap, not likely to get stole and easy to pack. You can also use the bring home groceries from the store....paper bags cost you extra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom