New Zeiss 50mm macro for E mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So excited about this coming soonish. Hope will work well underwater. Ports for it? Who is going to buy one for their NEX?

Hi Alien

I hope thes lens is coming soon! At the moment i use the Sony E 30mm Macro with my NEX-5N, but the short working distance is sometimes a little problem with lightning. Hope Nauticam will make a port fot this lens!
I will buy the lens as soon as it is available.

Greetings from cold Switzerland,

Tino

Greetings form very warm Melbourne. Water temps up to 22 now. Hot at night but great for diving

Yes, I'm using the 30mm macro and would love to fit a zeiss 50mm despite the price.

Well it sounds like they have at least 4 sold. :D Any late information of delivery. I hope it is this spring so we can get some good use out of them this summer.

I'm shooting a NEX7 using the 18-55mm kit lens in a Port 72. Just purchased the new Nauticam swing mount where I stack a Aquatica +10 on top of a F.I.T +5 for decent macro. Focus ranges get a bit tricky using this stacked combo, but at least I have something approaching super macro and the kit lens is pretty sharp despite the bad rap. What I really like about this set-up is I can swing the diopters out of the way and have a nice all around use lens that focuses as close as 9.5" and gives me 18mm wide angle (okay, it's sorta wide, I have the 16mm with both WA & FE adapters for really wide :) This is a nice combo set-up for a single dive.

I would love a Zeiss 50mm macro to give me better sharpness, easier range of focus being a true macro and a decent sharp standard 50mm when the diopters are swung out of the way. A longer range macro would be preferred, however, maybe in 65 to 100mm range, over the Zeiss 50 because it's actually shorter than the kit lens. Maybe Kenko will release a 1.4 or 2 TC since they have made e-mount extension tube set.There's rumors Zeiss may release an E-mount version of their 16-80mm zoom too sometime this year. It would be great to use it like the current kit with 16mm on the short end and 80mm for use with the diopters giving one quite a bit more reach. Hopefully all these lens combos will work inside the Port 72 perhaps with 1 or 2 of Nauticams new compact extenson rings. Otherwise, it's a lot of bucks and more space to carry all the ports and swings.

I'd definitely buy one next week if it came out and worked with the Port 72.

Well it sounds like they have at least 4 sold. :D Any late information of delivery. I hope it is this spring so we can get some good use out of them this summer.

Yeh have tossed up getting the swing out mountings they do look good. Isnt there another rumour of a Zeiss 85mm? I guess can go the 50 with the diopter? I have a subsee +10

I've only seen a rumor that Zeiss is going to release an E-mount version of their 16-80mm Sony SAL zoom lens I mentioned above. Unless they change the glass design or cut back somehow on the WIDTH of the A-mount SAL, it won't fit the Nauticam compact port, about 3mm too wide. However, the A-mount SAL 18-55mm is much wider than our NEX 18-55mm kit lens and they made it a lot narrower, so maybe they'll follow suit with the 16-80mm E-mount? Should we ever see it anytime soon. It still won't be a dedicated macro though, but Zeiss glass and the ability to shoot from 16 to 80mm on a single dive. Close up lens will take care of the macro.

Zeiss has two excellent lenses for underwater use coming in the next few months, the 50mm macro and the 12mm F/2.8. The Zeiss 24mm is the best of the NEX lenses I have used to date and I am sure these new lenses will be even better for U/W use. Cost is going to be the big issue, I would not expect to see these lenses sell for less than $1200.00 if not more. Not to be using a proper port for both would be a waist of an excellent lens.

Phil Rudin

Zeiss has two excellent lenses for underwater use coming in the next few months, the 50mm macro and the 12mm F/2.8. The Zeiss 24mm is the best of the NEX lenses I have used to date and I am sure these new lenses will be even better for U/W use. Cost is going to be the big issue, I would not expect to see these lenses sell for less than $1200.00 if not more. Not to be using a proper port for both would be a waist of an excellent lens.

Phil Rudin

im assuming you used the zeiss 24 with the nauticam 4.33" dome port, if so, how would you compare that combo to the sony 10-18 and zen port?

Back
Top Bottom