New ZEN products for mirrorless housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Zen Underwater has just released two new products for the mirrorless housings.

The first is a 25mm extension for the Olympus PT-EP housings which allows you to use your Zen 45 port with the Olympus 60mm macro lens. Extends the length of the port to fit the 60 macro.

Also a port adapter for Nauticam mirrorless Mini housings which allows you to mount Sea & Sea ports to your Nauticam Mini housing . I have one of these adapters for the Subal type III ports which I use with the Zen (Subal) 100 mm optical glass port for my Panasonic 8mm fisheye in the NA-EM5 housing. This can greatly extend your choice of dome ports for W/A lenses and allow use of optical glass ports for things like over/under shots.

Zen Underwater Extension Ring for Olympus PT-EP Ports [zen.er.ep.25] - $99.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Zen Underwater Port Adapter: Sea & Sea Ports on Nauticam Mirrorless Housing [zen.pa.nm.ss.60] - $199.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Phil Rudin

Thnx Phil!!

I have been looking for an extension ring for the 45mm macro for ages. But is reef photo the only place selling the item as can't find it anywhere online.

Those are both nice additions. I don't suppose you have any updates on the possibility of anything that would allow the use of the Oly 12-40 with the Zen 170 port on Nauticam housings????

Last edited:
Yes, an extension in the 25mm range is being considered by ZEN that would work with the 170mm glass port. I think an extension this size would work well with the Panasonic 7-14 zoom, Olympus 9-18 zoom and 12-50 zoom as well.

Yes, an extension in the 25mm range is being considered by ZEN that would work with the 170mm glass port. I think an extension this size would work well with the Panasonic 7-14 zoom, Olympus 9-18 zoom and 12-50 zoom as well.

I recall you had said it was under consideration. I was just hoping maybe there was an update. That extender would be great. :)

Phil, from previous postings, you stated you are using the 170mm with the 20mm extension port (in conjunction with the 7-14mm) - why would you consider a 25mm better?

First I am using the Nauticam 20mm extension with the 170mm ZEN glass port for the Panasonic 7-14mm zoom at this time. I was using the Panasonic 45mm macro prior to the release of the Olympus 60mm macro with the 45mm port. I added the 20mm extension to use the port with the 60 macro. I then added the ZEN 170mm port and sold the Nauticam port for the 7-14 zoom. I tried the 170mm plus 20mm extension for the 7-14 zoom and it works well but is a bit soft in the corners which is not a deal breaker for me. When the 12-40 zoom arrived the 20mm extension was not long enough for the lens and 12-40 zoom gear does not fit in the extension. Zen set out to build a new extension which would work with both lenses and accommodate the 12-40 zoom gear. A new 7-14 zoom is also coming from Olympus which will surly be longer and wider than the Pany lens. The final product will be a one piece unit, (no detachable extension) with the 170mm Glass. I hope to pick one up next Tuesday and will post a photo at that time. The extra 5mm has been added to fit the 12-40 and 9-18 and perhaps the new Olympus 7-14. The extra 5mm should help the corner sharpment with the current Panasonic 7-14mm zoom.

Thanks Phil,

Sorry to ask...

Zen set out to build a new extension which would work with both lenses and accommodate the 12-40 zoom gear.

The extra 5mm should help the corner sharpment with the current Panasonic 7-14mm zoom.

So you picking up a new 25mm extension or a new version of the 170mm dome which is 5mm longer?

If a new 170mm dome - Is this the reason why the 170mm has been delayed so long? (I'm still awaiting mine)?

Have you tried your current 170mm dome with the 7-14mm and a 30mm extension ring?

I'm looking to get the best corner sharpness as possible as I'm recording video.

Last edited:
First I already own the first ZEN 170mm dome for Nauticam Mini housings. The new dome port is a one piece unit not a dome and extension.

My understanding regarding the ZEN 170mm domes is that the Glass is coming in slowly from the source and orders are backed up about three months.

The Aluminum body for the ports is made in the US and has no backorder issues. I am having the glass removed from my current dome port and reinstalled into the new mount so I am not getting new glass, just the new mount. I will be testing it over the next few weeks with both the Panasonic 7-14 and the Olympus 12-40.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom