Newb from Raleigh, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robb3369

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone. Me and wife just took first pool class last night and eagerly waiting for next one on Friday... We are getting Open Water certified with Carolina Dive Center and already have an ocean dive scheduled next month. We have a cruise to the southeast Caribbean and thought we'd enjoy diving better than just snorkeling.

Looking forward to meeting some of you folks off the NC coast or somewhere warmer!

welcome to the board.
There are a lot of divers in Raleigh and a couple of active clubs. I highly encourage you to return to the quarry after your cert and get some good practice dive time in before heading to the coast. Hiring a DM or at least finding an experienced buddy to go along with you is a good idea. NC diving is differnet than a lot of places. You are a diver and treated as such, there are no DMs to set up your gear or to lead you on a dive.

Welcome!! I'm in Raleigh too, let me know if I can ever help you in any way :)

ant

Oh yes, diving is lots more fun than snorkeling. Welcome to a whole new world.

Pay attention to Herman's comments.
NC diving is a different world than what you will find off a cruise ship in the Caribbean.

Does anyone have experience with Scuba-Now in Wilmington? I was thinking of jumping in on their Nitrox and AOW class in October to pick up some additional training and a few more dives.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer training locally. The dive shop I use takes great care of me and the training is awesome...they do all my classes and they're the only ones I would refer. I think you get better training from the shop you frequent most.

I trust my instructor, and the fact that the shop is 9 minutes away is a happy bonus.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Does anyone have experience with Scuba-Now in Wilmington? I was thinks on jumping in on their Nitrox and AOW class in October to pick up some additional training and a few more dives.

Welcome and diving the wrecks offshore is awesome! Why would you wanna go all the way to Wilmington? There's a couple shops in Raleigh, Gypsy Divers comes to mind. If you want to go to the coast, there's Discovery Diving in Beaufort, and Morehead City, Olympus dive center. Both offer instruction and both have charters, for your AOW that run every weekend and some weekdays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom