newb needs reg recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no experience as far as uwatec goes, however, if it came down to it, I would go with a wrist mount computer rather than a console mounted. Plenty of threads on this board discussing that issue, but I like the fact that you can control your bouyancy with your left hand while looking at the computer on your right wrist at the same time.

I must be the only Sherwood guy here. I have used the Blizzard and magnum only. Great for cold water and duability. Kinda like the Checy of regs. Can work them and they never fail. Some say that they are hard to breath but I have never had a problem. Have been to 130 at 34 degrees with the blizzard and no free flows. My choice for the best durable reg. I will be starting tek trainning this year and have had the SP MK25/S600 reccomended for the greater then rec depths due to the breathing. I have not compared yet and can only speak for the Sherwood. (MHO)

SP regs are good as long as you don't go to cold water. I dive in Finland, and I have seen many many many SP regs freeze. I have never seen an Apeks reg freeze.

I used to have MK25 S600 but it froze on me at 42 meters. I had it serviced and checked and it showed to be normal. I sold it to a person that only does warm water diving, and bought an Apeks ATX200, and love it more than you can imagine, and never had a problem ever.

If you want to know what George Irvine dives with check the following links: That speaks volumes in itself.

http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/equipmentimages.htm
http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/gearlist.htm

Should I point out that the MK25 is a piston design while the MK16 is a diaphram and that the mechanics of the MK16 make it less likely to have cold related problems?

Yeah, I probably should.

R

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
SP regs are good as long as you don't go to cold water. I dive in Finland, and I have seen many many many SP regs freeze. I have never seen an Apeks reg freeze.

Although they're good regs I can vouch for the fact that Apeks regs will freeze. Like you I dive in cold water much of the year. I've seen every kind of reg freeze. It's usually the 2nd stage.

Having said that I don't use a piston in cold water either unless it's dry sealed. I have a Sherwood that I use as an octopus and it works great all the way to the freezing point.

R..

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...

I used to have MK25 S600 but it froze on me at 42 meters. I had it serviced and checked and it showed to be normal. I sold it to a person that only does warm water diving, and bought an Apeks ATX200, and love it more than you can imagine, and never had a problem ever.

QUOTE]
not trying to flame or anything but

did you chage brands of regs about the same time as GI3? becauase of a change in sponsorship for the wkpp? because this line sounds familar from what i have read about wkpp

ScubaPro does offer a Mk16 sealed diaphram 1st stage if there is a possibility of cold water. They perform extremely well.

I don't care for Apex regs because the ones that I have dove did not breath very well.

Went to LDS to see what the price for the setup I wanted. Didn't have the Mk25/S550 in stock. Had the Mk25/G250HP instead. With an R180 octo and mini VIP 2 gauge, cost with taxes and discount was.......800+ ;-0. If I wasn't a full time student at the same time, I may be able to afford to buy it from LDS. Felt really bad since the guy was so nice. If I can only win the powerball....hmmm.

Did you ask if he could get the S550 setup for you?

If you like the shop and people and want to support them, ask if they can order the regs you want and what the price would be for them. My LDS will order anything I want for me, it's no bother to them they have a guaranteed sale.

Might be worth a try!

R

Back
Top Bottom