Newbie and sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will get lots of suggestions for "the best place" that reflects the experience/travels of the posters.

I would suggest you come up with a list of the types of sharks you want to see. Certainly here in Sydney there are sites within newby range where you can almost guarantee certain species. Port Jackson sharks, Wobbygong and Dusky Whaler sharks are common. Grey Nurse sharks (called snaggletooth sharks in some international locations) have aggregation sites here and close by. Great White Sharks cage diving is commonly done on the West coast. There are successful Whale shark diving destinations. Other areas will offer various types of Reef sharks, lemon sharks and tiger sharks.
Wow thank you. Good point

We went to Roatan, last month and did the shark dive (Caribbean reef sharks). It's down to 70 feet (21 meters) and was incredible. My wife wanted nothing to do with sharks, before this trip, but was somehow the first one geared up, and consequently the first one off the boat. After the dive she told me that if there is a shark dive offered on any of our trips, we will be doing it!

In reply to #20 see About the Project - Ocean Revival
My son learnt to dive with Subnauta at Praia da Rocha so beginners can dive there. The bottom where the ships lie is 26 to 32m so you do need an OW cert as a minimum. The OW cert qualifies you to dive to 18m with a similarly certified person, but if a guide (who is also suitably qualified instructor) has seen that you are a competent diver they are generally happy to guide you down to about 35m. At 18m you would be just above the ships decks which is where sharks and fish are likely to be seen from. I have never seen a large shark at Portimao (Praia da Rocha is the beach area) but there are quite a few small ones and larger ones have been seen at the Ocean Revival park. To be sure of seeing larger ones you probably have to go quite a bit out to sea and use a CCR to stay down long and deep enough. I am going to Portimao at the end of September and hope to dive the Ocean Revival site.

Cheers

Just as an aside, but about 10 years ago, before my 50th birthday, I went out to Isla Guadeloupe for the Great White Sharks. We had one person on the boat who was mortally afraid of sharks and their logic told them that if they could get to the point where they would get into the cage and get in the water with tem, then maybe, just maybe they might be taking the first step to overcoming their fear.

By the end of the trip, that particular person was spending so much time in the water that they barely got out when lunch and dinner were ready.

Their fear passed right through respect and caution and went directly to amazement.

I am OW and went diving in Nassau, Bahamas. Saw lots of reef sharks and a big hammerhead between 40 to 60 feet! And this want even outta "shark dive."

Come to North Carolina and dive with the sand tigers. No baiting required. The top of the wreck is around 60 feet and it's 85 feet to the sand.

edit: I now see @drrich2 has already suggested NC. I second that.
Wow sounds awesome.... With a diving company or?

I was able to dive the Florida Keys this summer with my youngest. We did 11 dives; average bottom depth was 26 feet; generally mild currents; Ave temp 86. The boat captain was able to tell us, with near certainty, which reefs would likely have nurse sharks. And he was right. If you want simple diving and sharks considered gentle on humans, the Keys might be a good option. No feeding necessary.

Wow sounds awesome.... With a diving company or?
Yes. I have been diving mainly with Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington, NC the past couple of years. Here is their website Aquatic Safaris SCUBA Center, Inc.. The video I posted was an extremely good day in terms of visibility and number of sharks. This year I have seen sand tigers on multiple wrecks chartered through them: the John D. Gill, the Hyde, the Markham, and the Pocahontas.

Note the earlier comment about Deep and NC. That applies more for the dives further north. On the Hyde in the above video current is almost never an issue and I have dove it probably 20 or more times. The sand tigers (and a few sand bars) are regulars there and also on the Markham which is nearby during the summer and early fall. The chance of diving with them is very high. You will not see the large numbers that they see on some of the further off shore dives further north. Most I have seen at one time in one group is about a dozen. The boat ties into the wreck and the Hyde is intact and easy to navigate. Main deck at about 60ft. Bottom at 80 ft. Popular dive with newer OW divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom