Newbie! But have a question on this green light laser pointers.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
After searching here, I just have a couple more questions before I buy.
Why is Z-bolts 5mW pointer $129 and another brands 100mW pointer 1/2 that?
I though the higher the mw's, the more powerful(better) it is. Does it have
to do with quality of the beam? Or is Zbolt just a name brand and can do that?
I simply need a good one with a nice beam for
my kayak/snorkel tours we offer in the virgin islands. Am pointing from a range of 2 feet
to 20 feet. Water is fairly clear with the occassional
floating particules from swells and such. Can anyone help me decide. Thanks

Z-Bolt:
Underwater Green Laser for Scuba Diving & Marine Use, Waterproof to 200 ft

Other Brand:
100mW 532nm Waterproof Green Light Laser Flashlight GLP1002

Warranty and 'can go' 20m vs 60m depth for water proof? Quality of the LED, and therefor price is also an issue. Google complaints against both...I do this before buying anything.

Warranty and 'can go' 20m vs 60m depth for water proof? Quality of the LED, and therefor price is also an issue. Google complaints against both...I do this before buying anything.

So how do I know if a LED is quality or not by just advertisements that speak nothing of LED quality? Other than "plus", "brighter", or "dazzling"...lol
What exactly is google complaints?

Don't know where you live, but cannot ship or buy anything stronger than 5mw for US. Australia has similar restriction, though lower, I believe.

You can find a red one cheaper. I have a dive laser I got for $30. Trident. Search on "scuba laser".

So how do I know if a LED is quality or not by just advertisements that speak nothing of LED quality? Other than "plus", "brighter", or "dazzling"...lol

Go to any search engine, type in the name of a business, phone plan, item, person, etc... and the word complaints. This will give you dozens of sites that list complaints for everything in existence, down to single product complaint sites. If you can get the info from the manufacturer, go on line and look up the various types of LEDs.

Or spend the $30 and no worries. Personally, I go cheap on buying stuff like this.:wink: The LED quality differences may be meaningful to some, but I really don't care if it's variance from frequency over time is +/- ~whatever nm.

I thought a red laser would work, but they are worthless! You may as well point your finger and your finger never requires batteries. Sure a red laser does fine in air for about 20 feet. Beyond that the red will disappear; in water you will spend more time looking for the red dot. Go green or go home. I cannot tell about zbolt. I can tell you that a 200mW green laser is difficult to look at across the room in a classroom setting. I know, as I have one. I also have a couple of the 5mW ones, and they are good. I don't have any GREEN underwater lasers. I have the one RED underwater laser which is worthless.

After searching here, I just have a couple more questions before I buy.
Why is Z-bolts 5mW pointer $129 and another brands 100mW pointer 1/2 that?
I though the higher the mw's, the more powerful(better) it is. Does it have
to do with quality of the beam? Or is Zbolt just a name brand and can do that?
I simply need a good one with a nice beam for
my kayak/snorkel tours we offer in the virgin islands. Am pointing from a range of 2 feet
to 20 feet. Water is fairly clear with the occassional
floating particules from swells and such. Can anyone help me decide. Thanks

Z-Bolt:
Underwater Green Laser for Scuba Diving & Marine Use, Waterproof to 200 ft

Other Brand:
100mW 532nm Waterproof Green Light Laser Flashlight GLP1002

Dude, forget the pointer, and just get a good dive like. You can still point things out, an Intova Ultra Nova is about $80, and you can use it for a lot more things. Even in bright Caribbean waters, I could still get someone's attention and point at things.

I have the z-bolt and it is an excellent product.  Have dove it to 100+ feet with no problems.  It is very bright and visible in daylight, but you have to get used to looking for the small dot.  It fulls a different purpose from a general dive light.  We have ours strapped to a metal pointer, so that both pointing devices are a single item to carry.  For pointing out specific, small things at a distance, it is much better than a regular dive light.

I thought a red laser would work, but they are worthless! You may as well point your finger and your finger never requires batteries. Sure a red laser does fine in air for about 20 feet. Beyond that the red will disappear; in water you will spend more time looking for the red dot. Go green or go home. I cannot tell about zbolt. I can tell you that a 200mW green laser is difficult to look at across the room in a classroom setting. I know, as I have one. I also have a couple of the 5mW ones, and they are good. I don't have any GREEN underwater lasers. I have the one RED underwater laser which is worthless.

Then you have a junky one. My red lasers are used for science diving (although they were bought from a recreational dive shop) and they are clear (in clear water) to 40-60 feet. They start to fuzz out after that, but I'm only using them 20-40 feet anyway.

Back
Top Bottom