Newbie Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes i do have some suggestions i would get a mask with a perge ( easier when clearing your mask) split fins (my family uses them and they work great ) and a semi_ dry snorckel so water does nopt get into it that easily ) i hope this helps you out a little

hey i am 12 and i am in the middle of the ssi diving coarse i would suggest a mask that has a perge (so it is easier for clearing ) a semi dry snorkle ( so water does not get into it that easiley ) and split fins (my whole family uses split fins and they work great) i hope this helps you

Purge masks have their place, but sometimes new divers assume they are easier to clear before they have learned and practiced. I can understand why someone would think that, but they really aren't. And the purges can leak or make it hard to pinch your nose, and some of hthese masks are higher volume, so those are things to consider. Fit is the most important thing in a mask, not brand.

Valves and splash guards and other stuff can be nice for snorkeling, but not as good for diving - because if the snorkel is too bulky it's a nuisance to wear on your mask and difficult to put in your pocket if/when you decide not to wear it on your mask anymore. I like a roll up snorkel for diving and a semi-dry snorkel for snorkeling. There are some semi-dry snorkels, roll up or flexible, with purge valve and simple splash guards that are a decent compromise if you want the features.

Split fins vs paddles is something you can read about the pros and cons all day, then decide which opinions might actually apply to you. But mostly you have to try them and form your own opinion.

nereas:
This is what I call the freediver-like fins. They are great on the surface, but underwater they tempt you to burn through a lot of air.
Well, they've never 'tempted' me into burning through a lot of air. They are also great underwater for me, and superb in currents. But the best thing for you is to try, try, try !! Try as many differnet styles as you can, and see which feel best for you.

Bubble Junky:
Well, they've never 'tempted' me into burning through a lot of air. They are also great underwater for me, and superb in currents. But the best thing for you is to try, try, try !! Try as many differnet styles as you can, and see which feel best for you.

Try a DPV. They are more than superb in currents. I personally recommend the X-Scooter, because it is state of the art and also very light weight.

http://www.dive-xtras.com/

I'd say get whatever is comfortable, fits well and is in your budget.

With time, you'll figure out what you like about your gear and what you don't like about your gear. Ask your buddies what they like and don't like about their stuff.

Also accept the fact that you may end up upgrading/replacing some of your gear.

For instance I started in the Scuba Pro Split fins and they worked great! I've out grown them and I'm looking for a more traditional paddle fin that is more neutrally bouyant. I'm waiting for my OMS Slipstreams. It just took me a while to figure out that the split fins sort of suck for alternative kicks and they are negatively bouyant. I tried my buddies Slipstreams and they helped with my trim and oddly they work great for the frog kick.

Good luck.

skresch:
Fins = Stay away from split fins

I was on a boat of about 25 divers recently, and 90% of them were wearing split fins. Everyone was experienced, and had most probably owned several pairs of fins. I recently switched to split fins and I would never switch back for most diving situations.

I bought Aqualung in a set. This stuff is great! I hadn't used fins in 20 years. I was streaking across the pool in my first class. The LDS running my class lets you use their gear for free, but each week you'll get different stuff. I felt that having my own would make for a better experience.

BTW I was dubious about a "Water proof" snorkel,but it is easily the best snorkle that I have ever used.

mirms1024:
yes i do have some suggestions i would get a mask with a perge ( easier when clearing your mask) split fins (my family uses them and they work great ) and a semi_ dry snorckel so water does nopt get into it that easily ) i hope this helps you out a little
I would avoid the purge. First of all, you need to perfect your mask clearing skills. You will not do that learning to dive with a purge mask. Second, you run the risk of a valve failure. I had one years ago. It happened to be on a difficult (surge, current and a deep wreck dive) and it was a major problem. Imagine finding the anchor line blind and going back through all your safetly stops, unable to see through your mask. (not to mention water in your nose if you're not good at breathing through reg without mask)
I do like split fins for myself, less cramps and I seem to get enough power and able to do frog kicks. Lots of people will argue with this though. Try lots of different fins before deciding.(rentals, borrow)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom