Newbie...needs help with fins,mask,and snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

christopher1260:
Just a note on the black skirt-- it will never discolor like a clear skirt will. My mask is nearly a year old, and though it works great, the clear silicone turned a nasty-looking brown color. My next mask will have a black skirt strictly for this reason.

If you buy a mask with a clear skirt, you need to keep it away from any rubber stuff, including neoprene, or it will discolor. Keep it in a mask box or even a plastic bag, not loose in a bag fraternizing with hoses, wetsuit, etc. Some people put their mask in a fin pocket for protection instead of a box, but if your fins are rubber that would certainly do a job on the mask. I just replaced a clear mask that's over 10 years old because the silicone was getting a little stiff, it was a little cloudy after all that time but never discolored.

I paid 49.99 for my first set of mask, fins, and snorkel. It was a body glove set I purchased at Sams Wholesale Club, and guess what, the fins were the same as the Oceanic Caribe, and the mask and snorkel, the same as a Tusa model I've seen. With that in mind, for your first set, don't spend so much money. Chances are you will end up upgrading before you think you will.

I agree with James; stay away from the purge mask. Performing the skills of clearing a fully flooded, or partially flooded mask will be somewhat easier.

Rick

I like the OceanMaster with Q-Strap, It makes getting it off and on real eazy. I do alot of shore diving and usully swim out with my mask around my neck, so opening up the strap is a nice feature. On getting clear mask. With diving from the shore, if you drop the mask in the surf, and it's clear, you can prety much say good bye to the mask, if its black, there is a chance you may see it. Purge is a minor issue, fit and comfort is the main issue.

Snorkel, get the cheepest one you can find as I keep mine on my waist, and haven't used it for about 8 years. In Laguna Beach we need to have a snorkel or we get a ticket, Some of the new foldable snorkels look interesting as you can put them in your pocket.

Fins, I dove with Scuba pro Jet fins since 1972. Tries a friend's Apollo Bio Fins several years ago and wouldn't dive with anything else. Get the split fins.

Good luck in you class.

scubarn0203:
Hi,

Since I am new to this site and to this hobby,I thought that now was the time to ask for assistance.My diving class starts in about 3 weeks and I need some help selecting the "right" equipment.After doing some reading here, I am leaning toward the scuba pro jet fins,but have know idea what to do about the snorkel and mask(except I want the purge mechanism for both these pieces of equipment).Although the scuba store where I am taking my class has a "student discount package" that includes the mask,fins,snorkel and wgt belt for about $150.00,I still wanted to do some homework. But being a newbie, I didn't know if that was reasonable or what...........plz help!!

scubarn0203 (ed)
What I would suggest to you is to take a look at some equipment yourself find ones that you think are good write down the manufacture and model number and then ask some other more expressed divers if these are good picks.

I had a snorkle with a purge valve. Dove with it (not knowing any better), and found that after having to swim into a current (with the snorkle wobbling next to my head) The plastic cap that holds the valve in flew off into the current.

Now I only use one for an extended surface swim. Even then, I'd like to remove it and put it into a pocket while under (as soon as I get my Dive-rite shorts).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom