Newbie, Poor Diver or Jerk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IwakuniDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know I make my jokes about people being rude and generally inconsiderate divers but I honestly really hadn't had one along with me on a dive. Until Yesterday....

Yesterday was the big treat that I have been waiting for all winter. Our first trip to the Sea of Japan side (East Sea for some) of southern Honshu. It's about a 3 hour drive from Iwakuni but man is it worth it. The water is generally 10 degrees F warmer and is a crystal blue instead of pea-soup green that is on my side. Great variety in marine life and spectacular rock formations like underwater cliffs and towering rocks. Totally cool.

Anyway, our first trip of the season was a small group, only 5 of us. 3 of us are close friends and we dive together regularly. My wife, and a newbie were also with us. At the site there were 1 meter swells but little current. The plan was to drop down the anchor line to about 80 feet and head north to "the twins". Two huge, identical rocks jetting 60 feet from the bottom, where we would do a weaving pattern around them and then ascend to the top which is shallow enough for our safety stop. My wife and I buddied up and the newb and our DM (my friend) teamed up. All 4 of us took off together and it didn't take our newb long to start making an *** out himself. He kept bumping into me, swimming directly under me and cutting me off. He kicked the regulator out of my mouth twice before I had to give him the "if you do it again I'm going to cut your air hose" signal. No matter where I moved to, he would drift into me and / or someone else. He almost managed to knock me into a plume of fire coral 3 times before my wife and I split from the group and went back to the boat. In 48 dives that I have made in the last 6 months, I have never had one of my buddies EVER bump in to me once, and I couldn't keep this guy off me for more than a minute. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy the dive at all.

Second dive my wife sat out and I went down with my other friend. We dive together every week and can "read" eachother perfectly. That was a spectacular dive. We found some incredibly cool crevaces and some coral species I had ever seen before. Best dive of the year so far.

After my experience this weekend with this idiot, I find myself wondering. At what point do you stop cutting a diver slack for being inexperienced before they are permanently branded a retard and effectively banned from diving with your group? He's a nice enough guy, but his SAC rate is in the high .80's and is generally oblivious to other divers around him. He did apologize for knocking my reg out of my mouth (twice) but offered no explanation for his underwater antics.

I have one of those. He can not seem to stay within sight without being all over me. We generally hunt so it is easy to lose sight of your buddy for a moment or two. Most experienced divers I dive with keep checking on everyones position and very rarely get seperated. This character is constantly getting seperated and making a gear excuse. He has called 2 of the last 3 dives we attempted. He has been kicking the reg out of my mouth with so much frequency that I bearly notice it any more. I no longer dive with him but it took me a long while as he is a friend. I say give him one more shot explain what he is doing wrong (hmmmm, that is tough) as best you can and see if he is coachable, if not end it.

Can't say if he's a newb but sounds like two out of three. Did your talk to your DM friend (his buddy) to see if he had any explanation?

well, a "retard" is actually a disability, so wish people would not use the word that way...but I know what you mean. I guess you just use your social skills to obtain some distance from him. Or come right out and explain to him the problem with how he dives, if you think it may be lack of experience.

I had a guy do that to me on a drift dive in Coz. I was drifting along between 15-20' on my safety stop when this guy comes at me from below, banging his tank against my head (okay, I admit it, sometimes I do my safety stops upside down). He then grabbed onto me. I shoved him away and he drifted back into me. I again shoved, more forcefully and got him away from me.

When we got back on the boat, I explained to him that neither one of us were going to enjoy the second dive if he repeated the ending of the first. I came to the conclusion that he was afraid to get separated from the group if he got too far away from us. I don't think he was very experienced in free ascents in a drift. I explained to him that the boat crew knew where we were and he wasn't going to get lost. We had a great second dive and no problems, after that. He was actually a very nice guy.

Those stupid newbie divers. They have no business even going NEAR the water until they have perfected their bouyancy and trim.

You gotta be kidding me.

Unfortunately, the only way they'll get their trim/buoyance perfected is to get IN the water! LOL!

Jcsgt:
(okay, I admit it, sometimes I do my safety stops upside down).

Practicing for your OZ trip???...:D

No Oz trip in the near future, but that is a good excuse!! Thanks!!

IwakuniDiver:
I know I make my jokes about people being rude and generally inconsiderate divers but I honestly really hadn't had one along with me on a dive. Until Yesterday....

Yesterday was the big treat that I have been waiting for all winter. Our first trip to the Sea of Japan side (East Sea for some) of southern Honshu. It's about a 3 hour drive from Iwakuni but man is it worth it. The water is generally 10 degrees F warmer and is a crystal blue instead of pea-soup green that is on my side. Great variety in marine life and spectacular rock formations like underwater cliffs and towering rocks. Totally cool.

Anyway, our first trip of the season was a small group, only 5 of us. 3 of us are close friends and we dive together regularly. My wife, and a newbie were also with us. At the site there were 1 meter swells but little current. The plan was to drop down the anchor line to about 80 feet and head north to "the twins". Two huge, identical rocks jetting 60 feet from the bottom, where we would do a weaving pattern around them and then ascend to the top which is shallow enough for our safety stop. My wife and I buddied up and the newb and our DM (my friend) teamed up. All 4 of us took off together and it didn't take our newb long to start making an *** out himself. He kept bumping into me, swimming directly under me and cutting me off. He kicked the regulator out of my mouth twice before I had to give him the "if you do it again I'm going to cut your air hose" signal. No matter where I moved to, he would drift into me and / or someone else. He almost managed to knock me into a plume of fire coral 3 times before my wife and I split from the group and went back to the boat. In 48 dives that I have made in the last 6 months, I have never had one of my buddies EVER bump in to me once, and I couldn't keep this guy off me for more than a minute. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy the dive at all.

Second dive my wife sat out and I went down with my other friend. We dive together every week and can "read" eachother perfectly. That was a spectacular dive. We found some incredibly cool crevaces and some coral species I had ever seen before. Best dive of the year so far.

After my experience this weekend with this idiot, I find myself wondering. At what point do you stop cutting a diver slack for being inexperienced before they are permanently branded a retard and effectively banned from diving with your group? He's a nice enough guy, but his SAC rate is in the high .80's and is generally oblivious to other divers around him. He did apologize for knocking my reg out of my mouth (twice) but offered no explanation for his underwater antics.

Retard? Wow...

My guess is that you would be doing him a favor to have him dive with people that understand that when you are new, you are generally clumsy. The last thing a newbie diver needs (or anybody for that matter) is to be in the water with a self centered person who has actually thought through how to signal ""if you do it again I'm going to cut your air hose".

It's a good thing you weren't a newbie diver once in your life. I hope your intollerance only extends to newbie divers and not physically or mentally impaired people.

Back
Top Bottom