Newbie with backzipper problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubazendiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought my first wetsuit (7mm) and it comes with a backzipper.... how do you guys zip it up without a helping hand?
It´s so frustrating... it has an additional layer behind to protect it from water leaking into it but the zipper always gets stuck at there. I sweat like 5 liters away just to zip it up half. I tried pointing my arms up and squeeze my shoulders, keep one arm down, bend to the front and back ... it´s depressing..... it gets stuck every single time and I can´t do anything about it. Once I try to reach back with one hand to straighten the protection layer the other hand can pull it up cause my upper back widens too much.....
The fit itself, once it´s zipped up, is great.... Any suggestions?

Thank you :))

I ask my dive buddy, she's always there for little things like that.

+1 for dive buddy

Ask your dive buddy.

You can also apply a little bit of silicone grease on the zipper to make it slide easier.

Before you ask your buddy, try sitting on the bench and leaning forward just a bit. You may find that just manages to do the trick. But no guarantees.

+1 dive buddy (or in some cases my spouse)
keep trying and eventually you will get it
consider extending the zipper pull
- I have a 3mm SP Definition with the diagonal zipper. I get lucky a third of the time after a few attempts. It's just easier asking your dive buddy or spouse.

Thank you very much. And here I thought that I might just be too stupid for it... ok might still be the case, but I like the idea of letting my buddy do the heavy work ahahaha

If the lanyard has a loop, a coat hangar hook of even a short length of shoelace passed through the loop might help. Both techniques have worked for me. Also grasping the suit at the base of the zipper sometimes helps. some suits actually have a a short tab at the base to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom