Newbie with photo editing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mind GIMP as a free photo editing suite, but it has some limitations and a steep learning curve for what most beginners are looking for. I also enjoyed Darktable for that same reason. I used to teach them both in my Imtro to Photo Editing class at our local Community Ed.

However, Adobe has a Lightroom and Photoshop bundle for $9.99/mo. I tell my students to buy it for the two months of class and then cancel their subscription of they don't think they'll use it, or (even better), just pay for it when you need it.

Not doing any editing in August? Let your subscription lapse. Pay for it again in October when you're ready to do some editing. Treat it like your Netflix and Hulu subscription. If you're really frugal, you can save up all your edits from am entire year and just tackle them all in one month.

it has some limitations and a steep learning curve for what most beginners are looking for. I also enjoyed Darktable for that same reason.

Does Darktable have a steep learning curve and limitations also? If one already has LR, does Darktable have any advantages over LR in ease of use or features?

Not doing any editing in August? Let your subscription lapse. Pay for it again in October when you're ready to do some editing. Treat it like your Netflix and Hulu subscription. If you're really frugal, you can save up all your edits from am entire year and just tackle them all in one month.

That's a great idea but do you have to install and install it every time or you just leave it on your computer until you activate the subscription again?

Perhaps have both, Darktable for quickie edits and renew the LR subscription when needed as you suggested.

Does Darktable have a steep learning curve and limitations also? If one already has LR, does Darktable have any advantages over LR in ease of use or features?

That's a great idea but do you have to install and install it every time or you just leave it on your computer until you activate the subscription again?

I've tried Darktable a few times, but keep going back to Lightroom. From my experience, there is nothing that Darktable can do better than Lightroom. But there are things that Lightroom does better than Darktable, and its also easier to use.

As @Ryan Neely said - you get a monthly Adobe Creative Cloud subscription that includes Lightroom and Photoshop for the same cost as a nitrox fill.

That's an absolute steal compared to the cost of buying / hiring / servicing your dive gear, it's a pittance compared to the cost of your camera and housing, and negligible compared to the fuel / charter / travel costs of going on a dive.

I'd ditto @stiebs. Darktable's learning curve isn't any easier than Lightroom (in fact, Lightroom might be easier since [most] of it is just sliders (unless you really want to get into understanding how each of the sliders do what they do).

You won't need to install and uninstall Lightroom or Photoshop if you cancel your subscription. You'll merely have to reactivate your subscription before you can open the software again.

This is still too blue for my taste but it took me less than a minute. I could have taken more time but I wanted to show what you can quickly for a basic edit using the Parade. I use the free version of Davinci Resolve 18 for all my photo and video editing.

If you check out this thread here you will see a quick video I made which shows the power of Resolve.

I have made a LUT for shallow water (less than 10m) and am in the process of testing it with shots with different natural lighting (sunny, cloudy, partially cloudy, am, pm, etc. )

I have also created a mid water and deep LUT for use with GoPro images shot in Flat but I have yet to go test thought in different conditions. Once I do, I will be offering all three in a LUT package.

Bellize Edit_1.1.1.jpg

I never became adept at using Photoshop/Lightroom/etc., but would personally second the use of one of the mobile apps out there for anyone wanting a quick and dirty solution :wink:

IMG_4135.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom