Newby TZ10 + DMW-MCTZ10 Marine Case + S&S YS01 Flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow400

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I should be picking up my Panasonic MCTZ10 housing (for my TZ10) and the S&S YS-01 strobe next week.
It's a good 3 weeks before I get to dive again so am thinking about getting an arm & tray + fibre-optic strobe connector.

Can anyone recommend an arm/tray combo & what is the best way to connect a fibre optic cable from the housing to the flash - any ideas?

Kind regards,

Nic :)dork2:)

Ultralight Arm and Tray all the way, for the extra over a flex arm, its definately worth it. Its also cheaper than the equivalent Inon / Aquatica / Ikelite. I got the Sea+Sea strobe to go with my YS01, as I needed to attach to the Tz10 and a Fuji F100, but attaching the strobe is a pain. Inon make a connector for the TZ10 ~£30 or with a fibre optic ~£90, or you can emulate the idea by drilling out a nut/bolt like Vimaldude has (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/panasonic-planet/356254-question-housing-lumix-zs7-2.html) for a bare fibre optic, or adapting this idea for the sea+sea fibre as I am doing. You can of course attach to the diffuser, but its small and some have said it messes up the sTTL.
Moose

Thanks Moose - I saw the DIY connector bit but wasn't sure if that applies to the MCTZ10 housing...
I guess it does!
I'm sure it'll make a lot more sense when I've actually got the products in front of me but I'm collecting them from Orlando on the 19th...
I was thinking about the W35 adapter - $30 isn't that much but I can easily drill out a nylon bolt.

Have you found any problems with the type / speed of SD card in your TZ10 btw?
(which one do you have?). Underwater isn't the place to find that out :D

Many thanks for your reply Moose,

Kind regards,

Nic

Hi Nic
Card wise, im using a class 10 card, cant remember which brand off hand, but the camera definately let you know if the card isnt up to scratch for video. I got a 8GB card and it pretty much lasted my entire Bali trip last year, but always remember to BACK UP !
Havent seen the W35 adapter in person so not sure how the sea+sea fibre I have would connect, as Inon connectors are different. Just finished cutting the mask for my Fuji, so will use the extra velcro to make a mask for behind the DIY connector to limit the onboard flash, thats going to be a fun job !
You wont be disappointed with the camera, housing isnt quite as sturdy as the Fuji's but works just fine. If i could do it all again i would probably get the Dyron lens mount adapter rather than the Inon as its a pain to attach the strobe arm with the adapter on, but a bit of bodging got it sorted in the end.
Have fun, and remember Ultralight arms are your friend
Moose

Thanks for the info Moose,

If it's OK, I'll post on here if I have any problems when I eventually get the stuff home.

Cheers,

Nic

BTW, having had a look at all the Ultralight trays & arms, any top-tips on which ones to go for as there are loads!

Am fast running out of money with all this camera kit & I'd be pi$$ed if I bought the wrong one!

Cheers

Edited to add - something like the TR-NKS?

Sorry for the delay in replying, was away trying my kit in Egypt for 10 days :)
Ive got a TR-D tray (it has a ridge which reduces twisting the TR-NKS doesnt), TR-DHB handle, 2 clamps and a single 5in arm. Worked just fine for me, though i did find using a strobe took quite a lot to get used to, but got there in the end. I made a DIY version of the INON connector for the S+S fibre and blanked off some of the housing to reduce the effect of the onboard flash. Strobe triggered like clockwork, but there was some bleed through from the onboard flash, will have to find a better mask next time. One of the guys i was diving with had a TZ7 with a Fuji Remora flash (Intova), he just drilled into the side of the white diffuser and hot glued the bare end of a fibre optic which also seemed to work fine
Moose

Ok here we go... I have the Lumix TZ10 camera and the MCTZ10 underwater housing both of which I bought after booking a holiday to the Maldives last year. Snorkelling for some 30+ years throughout Europe, the Caribbean and Egypt I thought I had seen most things... How wrong could I be! Getting a new lease of life from the Maldives & some decent pictures (but not so many of the great ones I would have liked). Having booked again to the same island this year and wanting to try a couple of introductory dives I am considering getting a strobe. Most things I read online about underwater photography mention lighting and the need for a strobe... Now I know most of what is written online is all to do with diving but do I really need a strobe for snorkelling? If I am snorkelling a reef and taking pictures 4 - 10 ft below me would a strobe really benefit me? I am 99% sold on the Sea & Sea YS-01 so please give me your views ... Do I really need to splash out on £500 ... Or is it just a waste of money for flapping about above the water?

Last edited:
Well I have to say that you won't regret getting a strobe if you do!
I went snorkeling both with & without my strobe in the Maldives & it makes a difference having the strobe!
Especially if you end up taking a big breath & having a good dive down!!

HTH,

Nic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom