Newcastle, NSW, AU

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrmigs

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to visit in March 2012 - what kind of diving to expect? I like Warm, Sunny, Shallow = lots of fish - LOL!

Don't know a lot about diving in Newcastle (sad, as that's my home town). It's about an hour north of me and the only dive I've done is Swansea Bridge at slack tide. Always lots of fish there, though. These guys might be able to help (Aqua Zero Dive Centre). We're recently had the ex-HMAS Adelaide sunk near Terrigal, about an hour and twenty minutes in a car from the centre of Newcastle. That time of year, you're looking at about 20-22 deg (Celcius) and vis ranging from 12-20+ metres. It's green water rather than blue down here :)

If you got the luxury of moving around, there's some magic diving to the north of Newcastle aswell, but that's a few hours' drive.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi, Newcastle is a great spot to dive from. Try the website for Charlestown Dive which I think concentrates on guided shore dives in and around the Newcastle area. Swansea Channel is a great dive already mentioned. Port Stephens is just north of Newcastle and a couple of dive companies operate from there, check out Prodive Nelson Bay (it might be Prodive Port Stephens - same place), Try to get out the Broughton Island.

100miles north, ScubaHaven at Port Macquarie runs a boat out to the Cod Grounds which is home to a mob of grey nurse sharks.

An hour south of Newcastle, you are on the Central Coast and you can dive on our new artificial reef the warship Adelaide. Contact Les Graham at terrigaldive.com.au. The northern waters of Sydney are also accessible from here and ScubaShack at Ettalong run a boat out to these sites.

That should keep you going for a couple of weeks!

Back
Top Bottom