Newcomer \o/

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sealboy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, Im new to these forums and I've been a volunteer PSD in Iceland for about 4 years now. Im wondering where you guys are from and what degree of training do you have?

Welcome!

From Alberta, Canada. We're not as busy as some of the teams in large populated areas. No ocean for hundereds of kms. Shallow, weedy blackwater with some current is our prime environment. Ice is variable all winter.
I'm the team leader and PSD level 1 trainer.

How do they do things in Iceland?

mark

Sealboy:
Hi there, Im new to these forums and I've been a volunteer PSD in Iceland for about 4 years now. Im wondering where you guys are from and what degree of training do you have?

Wasshington State USA here, I've been with my unit for 4 years now, I am the units training officer. As far as Dive training, Basic open water and DR-I, Some in house Ice rescue/Diving training.

Here in Iceland divers are in units situated all around the country, numbers in each unit vary alot between places. My unit has around 10 ready divers. Everything is done voluntary and the training is paid by the unit. The rescue unit does not only specify in PSD but also runs a life boat, snowmobile, mountain rescue team, mountain vehicle team, urban search and rescue and general search and rescue. Each member trains to a basic degree before getting to specialize, basic training includes mountaneering, navigation on land and first aid to name just a few items.

A few years ago the national organization brought to the country Butch Hendricks of Life guard systems to teach the Public safety diver course here in Iceland, sadly I missed that course but took another one tought in-house. We adopted this system and have been using it to date. So far we've been looking mainly to the US to shape our current PSD community but are also turning to the UK for additional training. We purchase equipment both from Europe and the US depending on what we feel that fits us. Each team is responsible to manage their own inventory and the type of gear purchased. You might say that the independence of the teams is a fault in itself because it creates a diversity in gear so not everyone is familiar with each teams gear. At the moment we're trying to make it simpler and get everyone on the same page.

We work under the authority of the police on site. The fire department has divers at their disposal but I've never seen them used for longer then 4 hours before the overtime kicks in..... volunteers are "free" :p

Its a long time tradition here in Iceland to be in the volunteer search and rescue teams and employers here in Iceland show alot of understanding about giving their workers time off (most times on pay) if they get called out.

Our system is no way near as formal as it is in the states but we're striving to make it better and hopefully in the future we'll have it shaped almost to perfection.

bridgediver:
Welcome!

From Alberta, Canada. We're not as busy as some of the teams in large populated areas. No ocean for hundereds of kms. Shallow, weedy blackwater with some current is our prime environment. Ice is variable all winter.
I'm the team leader and PSD level 1 trainer.

How do they do things in Iceland?

mark

Calgary diver myself - not PSD though. Where in Alberta?

Hey guys, Im in kelowna b.c trying to find a PSD to join but cant find anything. Would like to start one maybe, how would i start one? Kelowna is growing and i think we need one soon.

Kootenai County Idaho, Coeur d'Alene area.

Been on this team for 30 years last month. We have a wide variety of conditions from temps in the high 80's to being able to walk on the water right out to the site. We can even go from the high 80's to the low 30's on the same dive. We can get real busy at times.

We are allowed 10 inhouse divers (all Deputy Sheriff's) and a selected few from outside Fire and LEO agencies.

We use Dive Rescue International for our certs.

Nice to hear from someone in your part of the world and welcome to SB.

Gary D.

ChrisCrash:
Hey guys, Im in kelowna b.c trying to find a PSD to join but cant find anything. Would like to start one maybe, how would i start one? Kelowna is growing and i think we need one soon.

Chris

You might have a problem getting anything going in BC since the RCMP do all the diving in the province for PSD. You need to be a full time LEO to dive for the RCMP. I know they are well equipped in Nelson so I'd imagine that Kelowna would be even more so

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom