Newly certified, going to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spector39

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello. I just got certified and have a whopping 4 dives under my belt (including the checkout dives.) A friend (who is a more experienced diver,) and I are going to Coz later in the year and I was wondering if I could get some advice on diving there (where to dive, where NOT to dive as a beginner, etc.) We'll be doing 4 days of diving (2 per day.) I'm a bit nervous that many of the dives are deep (the max for OW certification is 60ft, I think) and looking at the PADI dive tables, I don't see how I can do these w/o exceeding the limits. I will be renting a regulator with computer for the trip and also bringing my own bcd and wetsuit. Also, I'm considering buying a Spare Air and taking it along mainly for the peace of mind! Any other thoughts, ideas, adivce or opinions would be appreciated!

Congrats on your certification. The thing about diving deep is that it's not so much different from diving in shallower depths but it does take some time to ensure you are aware of how far away your buddy is, that you feel comfortable with what you are doing, and that you understand the surface is further away. That last item may sound silly but it's not. I've been diving for 2 years, and I've been on several deep dives. They didn't worry me, but they did bother some of my friends a little, and I will give you the best advice I can - don't do any dive you don't feel comfortable doing. Just because your friend wants to do it doesn't mean you have to do it.

Having said that, I've been diving in Cozumel twice, and most of it was drift diving along a wall. Drift dives are different, because the boat isn't tied to something when you get out, and you need to stick with your group so the boat can pick you all up together. I would encourage you to buy a surface marker buoy, whistle, or mirror -- some kind of signalling device. These are not very expensive and you may never need them, but if for some reason you were separated from your group you would have a way to show others where you are. If you buy something, make sure you know how to use it. I would think a signalling device is more important than spare air, which doesn't actually hold much air for a diver who is freaking out and is most useful in getting you to the surface when you are running out but are not panicked. If you have a pressure gauge, and monitor it regularly, you shouldn't run out of air - you should signal your Dive Master and buddy, and start to ascend according to predetermined pressure limits. This is all part of the dive plan that you should establish before you ever get in the water. If your tank has 3000 psi when you start, when you get to 2000 or 1500, what ever you agree on up front, you will slowly ascend, doing your safety stop, and you should be just fine. Remember to inflate your bcd when you hit the surface, and don't take off your fins until you are physically holding on to the boat.

Also, just because you dive deeper doesn't mean you have to exceed the limits. Remember this from class - most of the time you don't go to 60 feet and stay there for 60 minutes on your first dive. You start out with the deepest part of the dive, and then you gradually ascend. Maybe you swim 15 - 20 min at 60 feet, then another bit at 40 feet, and then a while at 20 feet. You can stay within the limits of no decompression diving by this multi level diving, while still getting to see some cool stuff. A lot of diving in Cozumel is along a wall, so you can see interesting things at shallower levels too.

The most important thing is to talk about all of this stuff up front. Maybe call the shop where you get certified and go through these ideas, and possibly read a book or some postings here about Cozumel. Have fun, and dive safely.

Hi and congratulations on your recent cert! You're on your way to having some brilliant holidays.

My experience with Cozumel - like many dive hotspots with many divers going through - is the dive operators will organise their trips and dives according to the levels of experience and certification of the divers. Also, because of the heavy volume of cruise ship passengers stopping over to do dives, there are lots of casual/occasional/beginner divers being catered to.

The resort I dived with on my trip had two or three trips going out on each day (one for more advanced and adventurous divers to more challenging sites - with current, depth etc and another for cruise ship visitors, beginners and Open Water classes to less demanding sites).

My guess is that most operators will be fairly flexible with their arrangements. Just mention any concerns you have with the resort/shop when you make your booking.

Have fun

Cozumel is a great place for a new diver! My son just got certified in Coz, did his 4 checkout dives, plus more, learned a ton about buoyancy control, saw lots of great fish, had a blast. Don't worry, Coz is a great place to get started!

There are plenty of dive ops that are interested in inexperienced divers, and a few that would rather not. Just do your research, talk to your dive op, and pick a boat that is willing to assist a new diver. Some boats put a dive guide or divemaster in the water with you and some don't. I would suggest you have a guide who can help you on your dive profile, and give you tips before the dive, help underwater if needed, and give you some tips when you are back on the boat.

There are plenty of good sites with great features at reasonable depths. Stick to a max of 60 fsw for the first several dives, get comfortable, learn to control your buoyancy, learn to control your safety stop, learn how much weight is appropriate, get the feel of the drift dive. Once you get comfortable you may do a little deeper dive if you and the guide feel you can handle it.

Visibility in Coz is usually excellent and the water warm.... what a great place to gain experience!

Don't waste your money on the spare air, you don't need it. Buddy dive, stay close, and watch your gauge.

Splash in, go to your max depth, then continue on the dive getting slowly shallower as you go, when you get to 1000psi head to the safety stop then get on the boat. Simple and easy.

Have fun!!

Hey spector39 congratulations on becoming certified. My suggestion is to do a search in the COZ forum and you will find an ocean of information. There are many here who will help you with any and all kinds of questions, (I know they helped me quite a bit).
You will have a great time in COZ.

Last edited:
congratulations on the certification. A personal favorite of mine is Welcome to Sand Dollar Sports Cozumel México when are you going? Maybe someone on here is going the same time and can be on the same boat :) anyway I second the spare air. For what it cost you could get a nice sized pony bottle for a small amount more and hold quiet a bit more air.

If you are buddy diving under ideal conditions though all you will need is a good dive partner and no how to handle OOAs together :)

Thanks to all for the replies. I feel a little better knowing the extra depth won't be that big of an issue. I guess the PADI instructer did a good job of drilling us with the rules! K_ellis, we are going at the end of July and diving with Pepe Scuba, I believe. I can't wait!

I would suggest palancar, columbia shallows, and santa rosa wall. From my experience Santa Rosa starts around 60 and goes as deep as you want. Don't worry too much about the 60' limit. This is a relatively new thing and I was diving Santa Rosa as a kid at 80'. Stick with your buddy, know your air supply and NDL. As far as dives I would actually stay away from at your experience level, these would be San Juan (strong current), Barracuda (strong current), Maracaibo (decompression or deep bounce) and punta sur (confined spaces and hits the depth limit for recreational divers).

I would also concur that investing in a surface marker and a whistle would be a good choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom