Nex-5, Nauticam, Canon 60 macro, Athena Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvanant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are some pics shot on last Friday. We were in Anacapa and the water was quite green but got some interesting shots. These were shot with the Nex-5 in a Nauticam Housing with the Canon 60 mm macro lens (set at f5.6) using a Canon to Nex adapter and an Athena Ringflash triggered via a fiber optic. Focusing in the surge in a drysuit was a giant PITA but this has some potential. Fixed focus of course using your arms to move the camera in and out and praying something was close to focus. Next time I will try to get a little more DOF and try it at f8 but it will make the focusing a bit trickier.

5647225816_9e166b7e55_b.jpg

5646662071_d27535f07c_z.jpg

5647224794_5d5ce97b66_z.jpg

5646660385_13e1a365d7_z.jpg

5647223128_aa02372fc1_z.jpg

5647217906_9f272cc637_z.jpg

5646656391_bdc5085ee3_z.jpg

Enjoy
Bill

Those are gorgeous, Bill.

Which port did you use for this Bill?

I used the port that was designed for the Sony 30 macro with the adapter. That setup work but it focuses way too slow for me so I just chunked in the Canon 60 and tried it out.
Bill

Hi Bill,

This an old thread, but I was wondering about your use of the Canon 60 macro in a NEX housing. I know the owner of Nauticam, Edward, made a custom 2 piece port with focus knobs to use the Canon 60 macro, but you've managed with existing ports. Can you comment on this please. Now that mini-compact extension rings are available for the NEX housings, I was wondering what lens adaptor you used and how did you focus the lens? I know the Zeiss 50mm macro will be out soon, but 60mm is a bit longer especially with the crop factor.

Personally I thought the Canon 60M to be too wide for the Nauticam ports, but apparently not unless that custom 30mm Sony SAL port (prior to the Sony 30mm E-mount macro) to be used with Sony adapter is a wider port than normal such as my Port 72?

Any comments would be appreciated. It seems like no one other than Zeiss is making a macro lens for e-mount anytime soon.

Thanks,

Marshall

Hi Bill,

I see you have managed to keep your Athena ring flash up and running and that the results are excellent for what it was meant to be used for. I am just now beginning to have a few problems with mine after about five years of service. I think that mine has lasted longer than others because I shoot it in manual all the time. Anyway good to hear you are still getting use from yours.

Phil Rudin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom