nex5n macro (still and video) example

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byron
What do you think of the Subsee +10 is it easy enough to use/ Did you buy the adapter or just the straight diopter to screw on to the port?

The +10 wasn't too bad to use, it is similar to shooting with the 30mm macro. I am using two strobes now so I think that helps a lot. The image quality is better than the inon.
I didn't get the reefnet adapter as they would need to manufacture one for the port. The subsee has a 67mm thread so it screws into the nauticam adapter. The main advantage of the reefnet adapter is you can swing the diopter out of the way when you don't need it.

The picture below was shot with the +10.

shrimp2 by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

This lens could be made to work with the NEX and M43 cameras for which it is made. Canon makes a 65mm macro that zooms from 1:1 to 1:5 which has been used underwater with some very dramatic results. What is required is a custom port that will zoom in and out with the lens and custom gears if you want to move the zoom of the F/stops. Most likely you would set the lens at 1:4 or 1:5 prior to getting in the water, zoom the port to match the length of the lens and pick an F/stop for the for the entire dive. As has been expressed lighting would be a challenge and selection would be limited to more static subjects. Not an investment for average diver.

If you consider that a 100mm macro with a custom port (one that comes very close to the lens) and the +10 close-up lens gets you to around 1:2 going more than twice that size would made for some interesting images.

Nauticam makes a flip adapter which locks open and closed with the 67mm threads if you want to leave the close-up lens attached to the housing.

Phil Rudin

Thanks phil didn't realise Nauticam made a flip adapter. What is the ideal macro lens we are waiting for for the NEX cameras a 50mm? Byron is the 30mm worth getting?

The 30mm lens is a good lens, it was ideal for taking pictures of tassled anglerfish and weedies. For macro shots I will probably use my 18-55mm with the subsee +10. I would like a 100mm macro lens.

Phil does using the flip adapter on the 18-55mm lens require the use of the current macro adapter?

Can someone link the flip adapter?
I have the nex-5 with 18-55, so with this 67mm diopter thing, can you take the +10 lens on and off underwater?

So the flip adapter (25101) would flip the diopter holder and the lens away yeh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom